5. Something To Look Forward To

Minhee now sat next to me in four classes. I'm not sure how he managed that but nonetheless it's reality.

Surprisingly he didn't bother me much at school. He wasn't lying about being a good student.

He was immensely focused during class.

And in between clases he concentrated on what class he had next.

I drew random shapes in my notebook as the teacher droned on. Minhee kept nodding his head along.

Inconspicuously, he rests his arm on the back of my chair. I only notice when my hair shifts due to the action.

Finally, the bell rings indicating that we can leave.

I started collecting my things when someone approached Minhee and I.

"If it isn't West High's new favorite couple," the irritating tone of Kyungmi's voice made its way over to my ears. I unconsciously groan.

This wasn't going to be good.

"We're not dating, Kyungmi, and I would appreciate it if you would stop telling people that." I was curt. I didn't feel like dealing with her at the moment.

Minhee looked from her to me as if anticipating a fight or something.

"That's good because it wasn't settling well with some of the other students," Kyungmi tries to bait me.

I wasn't having any of it.

"Well, some people should stay out of what is none of their business."

I take my stuff and begin to walk away. Kyungmi holds onto my upper arm to stop me.

Reluctantly I pay attention to what she had to say, her face unusually serious.

"You and I both know that they're only giving out one scholarship to the top student," Kyungmi says in a quiet manner. Minhee strains to hear what's going on. My eyes dart from him back to the girl. "I'm not going to lose that opportunity to Mr. Rich Boy who has Daddy pay his way to the top spot."

In an odd way I could understand her concern. Everyone in the west side was unsure how they were going to pay for college.

But a full scholarship, that could eradicate any fear of student debt.

It was the dream of all good students at West High.

Including mine.

"The university open house is in two days. If they even bother to look for possible attendees from our school, who do you think is going to stand out?"

She had a point. Out of all of us, polite, attractive, wealthy and smart Kang Minhee will be the center of attention. As per usual.

Then again, Minhee is a good person and I guess if they do focus on him it would be for good reason.

People like him get attention because they deserve it.

They excel in everything so it's almost guaranteed.

"Maybe if you focused on your own grades instead of other people you wouldn't have to worry about it. Now if you'll excuse me," I say then walk away.

A few moments later Minhee catches up with me.

"What's her problem?" He asks me.

"Everyone else's."

I reach my locker and began getting my stuff ready for lunch. Minhee leans against the locker next to mine.

"I tried to talk to her and she just walked away."

"Don't worry about her."

His eyes bore into mine despite my attempt to avert my gaze away from him.

"Are you okay?" His tone was so genuine it caught me off guard.

"Yeah," I say dragging out the word, "why wouldn't I be?"

He shifts in his spot.

"Well, it was just, it seemed a little tense. I just wanted to make sure." He stuttered out a response.

"I can handle myself."

Minhee regains his normal obnoxious demeanor.

"Ji Ji, you're such a mess. You need someone to look after you." He ruffles up my hair and I smack his hand away.

Oh, that nickname.