12. Merit An Invitation

I was adding the final touches to my random scribbles in my math notebook when a piece of paper is pushed to my desk inconspicuously.

My eyes snap towards Minhee, who was looking at the teacher. As if he didn't do it.

And for a second I was almost convinced that he didn't, that is until he darted his eyes to meet mine and gave me a wink.

Slowly, as to not draw attention to myself, I open the letter and read it:

'Party at Seungyoun's place tonight. Go with me?'

I furrowed my eyebrows.

He's asking me to go to a party with him?

Are all his friend's going to be there?

Or will there be a lot of people?

Honestly, I didn't need that kind of stress in my life.

I'm more of a stay at home kind of girl.

I go to write 'no' on the paper but Minhee places his hand on top of mine to stop me from doing so.

I peer up at him. He tilts his head before grabbing the note to add something else. He passes it back to me with a nod when he's done.

'Don't say you have anything better to do. I know you don't. And don't worry it's not a date.'

I give him a 'seriously?' look. As if I would think Kang Minhee was asking me out on a date. Never in a million years.

He just gives me an exaggerated smile in return.

I sat there thinking for a moment.

That Seungyoun guy didn't seem that bad. If Minhee decides to ditch me maybe I could talk to him.

What would we even talk about?

Only one way to find out.

I scrawl out 'fine' on the paper, slid it over to him and crossed my arms.

Minhee jumped up a little in excitement which quickly caught the attention of the teacher.

"Do you have anything to add Mr. Kang?" She asks, condescendingly, expecting him to get all flustered from being caught.

"Yes, Ma'm, shouldn't it be over 3 instead of 2?" Minhee points out the teacher's mistake.

She looks over the work on the board and realizes he's right.

"You are correct. Good job spotting that out, Minhee," she says in an apologetic tone.

I just shake my head.

How does Minhee do it?