7. Stressing About Nothing

The hardest part about studying for a test is staying focused. I thought with my parents out of the house I would be undisturbed, but I was wrong.

I anxiously wrote out the steps of the math problem as I thought they were. I was sure I was doing it incorrectly.

Pushing my notebook aside, I rest my face in my hands.

"What's got you all whacked out?" Minhee asks walking into my room. An amused expression on his face.

I rub my eyes and look over at him.

"I'm not in the mood, Minhee."

I'm unsure of what he saw in my demeanor, maybe frustration, but he didn't make any more snarky comments, instead opting for a much more compassionate approach.

"Hey, what's wrong?" He asks softly. His hand rests on my shoulder.

I turn my desk chair slightly to face him. I'm hesitant to tell him the truth. Even though he seems sympathetic now it could all be a ruse just to poke fun at me.

I let out a sigh.

"I can't figure out how to do any of this and if I can't do this then how am I supposed to do the mid-year exams in a couple weeks?"

I felt like crying.

But I couldn't.

Not in front of Minhee.

I look down at my lap.

"Don't cry," he coos, starting to crouch down so he can look into my eyes.

"I'm not going to cry," I push at his shoulders almost making him fall over. He was able to stabilize himself.

I was more frustrated than anything.

"I just want someone to tell me everything is going to be alright."

I shut my eyes. I can't believe I just told him that.

"Okay," his hand on my shoulder moved to my upper back and pulled me towards him. And I kind of just let him.

He cradles my head to his neck. while his other hand slowly goes up and down my back soothingly.

"Everything's going to be fine. Don't worry."

With my face hidden into the crook of his neck I can almost imagine that he isn't there, I'm not actually a mess in front of him, and that I'm actually sleeping or something.

My hands curl up towards his chest.

Was this actually happening?

Maybe I was dreaming?

Minhee wouldn't do this in real life. No, he would just say I was crazy for stressing out too much and make some comment about being more than prepared for the mid-year exam.

Shoving his greatness in my face.

Right now he's shoving my face into his shoulder.

This can't be right.

Yet I knew it had to be real. The rubbing of my back couldn't be imagined. His soft breaths beside my ear. His scent overwhelming my sense of smell.

What was that scent?

Was it cologne?

Has he always worn it?

Maybe studying has made me go insane?

Dream or not, I was feeling comforted. Whatever he was doing was working.

"You know," I move a little to speak to him, "you're not as awful as I remember."

Minhee chuckles, I can feel the vibrations as his shoulder shook with the laughter. "Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment."

"You're not as bratty as I remember," he adds.

I hit his chest hard.

"Ow," he cries out.

Suddenly the desk chair slips out from under me and I fall on top of Minhee causing him to fall over as well.

We're not even looking at each other.

Neither one of us seems eager to get up.

"If you call me heavy I swear I will punch you in the face this time," I threaten.

"You wouldn't even dare to hurt my face," Minhee says confidently.

I lift my head to stare down at him.

"Try me," I warn, seriously.

"As much as I would like to see that," he pushes me off to the side gently while sitting up, "I invited some friends over and they're going to be here any minute."

"Uh, it's my house, you didn't bother to ask me if that was okay."

"Didn't need to. I already asked your parents. They said it was fine."

He helps me up from the floor.

He had another one of those mocking smiles. He loves the fact that he can bypass me and go straight to my parents.

"But afterwards I can help you with the studying, okay?"

I nodded my head.

I was fairly glad that he was going to help.

"I happen to be very prepared for the math mid-year exam."

And there's the Kang Minhee I know.