19. Dinner Partying Old East Style

Most kids my age are either at home, hanging out with friends, at a high school party, etc.

At least with those you can wear comfy clothing.

Now I'm met again with one of my 'nice' dresses. Sitting at a table in a large banquet hall. Surrounded by a crowd of fancy pants adults, all quietly discussing the state of the economy.

The seat next to me was empty. Minhee had excused himself and ran off to talk to a couple girls at another table.

My parents, relentless as they were to fitting in with this crowd, tried very hard to join in the conversation.

No one paid any attention to me.

So I let my eyes wander. Waiting for anything interesting or peculiar to happen. And it did.

It came in the form of Dohyon playing the piano towards the center of the room.

I had been sort of half listening to the music and wrote it off as some stuffy adult paid to play the most generic back ground music ever.

The kid was by himself.

Well, it's only right if I keep him some company.

I don't even excuse myself. The adults are so engrossed into the discussion that no one notices that I left.

I walk over slowly, this time I am wearing heels and it would be pretty embarrassing to fall in front of everyone. Especially all these rich and important people.

Dohyon looks up from the keys for a second to see me and smiles.

"Stuck here too?" He questions as I approach the grand piano.

"Yeah," I answer in a nod, "I don't think formal dinner parties are my thing."

I eyed his formal wear. Black suit and bow tie. A coat tail that hangs off the bench. A stark contrast to the sweats and T-shirt I've normally seen him wear.

He softly chuckles. "For us kids, were almost just decorations. They want us to sit and behave but we can't even join in on the conversation."

I nodded to his words.

"That's why I stay here. Playing music gives me something to do."

He scoots over on the bench and gestures for me sit down. Which I do. It's amazing that he can continue playing even while talking or listening.

"Do you normally go to these type of things?" My hands rest on my lap.

"Yeah, my parents don't give me much of a choice," he eyes me for a second. A little envy in them. Probably because I never have to go to dinner parties like this one, but I would easily take this if I could never worry about college ever again.

"But at least I can get some practice in."

Dohyon easily switches to playing 'Flash', however, a much more mellow version considering the atmosphere. Right at the part where his rap part came in. He whispers the words as he goes along.

"How did you learn to rap?" I ask.

He tilts his head thinking for a moment.

"I don't know. I kind of just listened to other rappers, and started writing my own lyrics. I used to practice at the back of my school."

"Back of your school?"

"Well, I couldn't practice at home. My parents would never let me do anything if they think it's disrupting my studies."

Man, east side parents sound way strict.

My fingers fidget on my lap, I stare down at them. "Do your parents know about X1?"

Dohyon breaths in quickly. "Don't talk about that here." His tone was sharp. Unusual for a kid his age who would never dare to speak like that, especially to someone older than them.

"Okay, my mouth is shut." I gesture zipping my lips up for emphasis.

"Sorry. It's just some of us are still keeping it on the down low, and everyone here is a gossip. If someone even had a suspicion the whole banquet hall would know in 10 minutes."

I nod my head in understanding.

I was going to ask who those people were but Dohyon speaks up first.

"You know a scotch and soda would do good right about now," he says it with much conviction that I'm sure he's just saying it to show off.

A smile comes across my face when I think about what Seungyoun has said about the drinks he served at parties.

"What?" Dohyon asks, noticing my smile. "Did Seungyoun tell you how he doesn't give us young ones liquor?"

My head snapped to face him.

So he knows.

A mischievous smile pulls at his lips. "I pour some whiskey in when he's not looking."

"And then I replace your drink."

The two of us turn to see Seungyoun standing a couple feet away. He walks around to lean on the top of the piano with his arms crossed.

He looked effortlessly handsome in a suit and tie, hair slicked back. It may also be the way he carries himself with ease.

"You do not!" Dohyon counters like a child.

"You can't get anything past me, kid." An amused smile on his lips. Then his eyes move to meet mine. "Are you free tomorrow? I have the studio in the morning, I was wondering if you wanted to go."

I nodded my head. "That sounds good. I would give you my address to pick me up but you seem to already know where it is."

The two of us chuckle.

"How's 10:30?"

"Perfect," I agree.

Dohyon, still playing, shifted in his seat. He wasn't looking at us but I could tell he was uncomfortable.

"We have a song request."

Eunsang and Junho approached the piano. Dohyon looked up at them expectantly.

"'I Like Me Better' by Lauv." Eunsang said.

"And then could you do 'In My Blood'?" Seungyoun adds his request into the mix.

"At your service," Dohyon said sarcastically, though I could tell he was glad to have his friends around him.

And I guess I'm glad I'm here, too.