Chapter 28 - Gwen's POV

Cohen and I have been inseparable ever since our date. I know that if I am not careful I will fall in love with him. That is the terrifying truth. We have had a few moments of unease, but for the most part, it has been smooth sailing, and I am constantly drunk on euphoria. No one could ever make me as happy as he does. At school we make sure to spend as much time as possible together without it seeming inappropriate, and at home I think everyone knows that we are something more as we spend all of our time with each other giggling and being idiots for the most part. Cohen showed me an app called tiktok, which we have wasted a bit of time on creating weird and cute videos, and we have also been watching a lot of Netflix.

Somehow it is already my last week in America, and I am dreading my return to Losington. My real life feels like the fairy tale now, and I find myself wanting to stay here in America with the Kefalas' forever. I cannot fathom returning to my mundane, regulated life as a Princess. Especially as the castle will probably be busy with wedding preparations, and I am refusing to talk to my persistent mother. She tried calling me, but after I ignored six calls and ten texts, I think she got the message. She even tried to talk to me through Laurene, but I ran out the house so Laurene would not have to lie about my whereabouts.

Suddenly my phone buzzes in my pocket, causing me to jump. Looking down I realise that it is Torryn who has messaged me, and I flush when I remember I am standing right next to her by our lockers with Evolet.

"Sorry Torryn, I was lost in my head." I apologise meekly whilst stuffing my phone back into my pocket.

"I know." She huffs. "You have been like this all week, is there something you are not telling us?" She asks whilst looking annoyed.

"Yeah, is it a guy?" Evolet chips in.

"Or something to do with your cousin, Cohen? You have been spending an awful lot of time with him, and looking at each other like love-sick puppies." Torryn accuses.

"N-no, it's nothing... it's just that I'm going home on Saturday and I'm really going to miss you guys." I smoothly half lie; I will miss them very much too, although it isn't at the forefront of my mind.

"Hmm." Torryn murmurs, looking unimpressed.

"Aww, we are going to miss you so much too Rayne! You are one of my best friends." Evolet sighs sadly.

"Aww, you too. I don't want to go, but I am needed back home." I explain sadly.

"We will visit each other lots." Torryn affirms, linking my arm with hers and pulling me along the bustling hallway filled with students.

I am even going to miss school.

As we crawl through the lunch crowds, I get another text message.

Cohen 12:34

Hey baby, meet me in the supply closet on the third floor. I'm waiting xxx

My heart melts in my chest at the endearment. I feel bad for ditching my friends, but I am eager to find out what Cohen wants.

"Hey, Torryn. I am so sorry girls, but I have to run to... to erm, the art room. To talk to Miss Corrall. I will see you in science ok?" I explain to them, before giving both Torryn and Evolet a hug, and leave to jog off down the hall.

Unfortunately, I do not realise that I am in fact going the opposite way to the art block, making Torryn and Evolet suspicious, and trail after me. I sprint up the stairs, mildly out of breath when I reach the third floor. As it is only classrooms up here, there are only two stray students wandering around, fortunately going the opposite way to me anyway, leaving me to roam the long empty corridor. I am not exactly sure where the janitor's closet is, but I dawdle down the hall, my shoes squeaking against the freshly polished tiles. A wide grin blooms onto my face when I finally find the sign, and after quickly checking to make sure no one can see me, I slip into the room, almost immediately tripping over a bucket.