24

As my mom's worry grew, mine did as well. 

"I'm going after them," Andrea said as she stood up. 

"Don't, they could be anywhere," My mom said and Andrea looked her, "And if Randall comes back, we're gonna need you here." 

And then the door opened. 

It was Daryl and Glenn. 

"Rick and Shane ain't back?" Daryl asked as he looked around the room. 

"No," My mom answered and I stood up along with her, and we both looked at Daryl. He knew what I say thinking. Shane was luring my dad to his death. 

"We heard a shot," Daryl informed us. 

"Maybe they found Randall," And when my mom said that, I nodded. Maybe they did. 

"We found him," Daryl said and then looked at me. 

"Is he back in the shed?" Maggie asked as she looked at Daryl and Glenn. 

"He's a walker," Daryl answered and I looked at him, surprised. 

"Did you find the walker that bit him?" Hershel asked and I looked at Daryl, waiting for an answer. 

"No, the weird thing is, he wasn't bit," Glenn said and I looked at them, alarmed. 

"His neck was snapped," Daryl said and that's when I put it all together in my head. Shane didn't get jumped by Randall, he took Randall out into the woods and killed him. 

"So he fought back," Patricia said, trying to make sense of it. 

"The thing is, Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each others," And when Daryl said that, my suspicions were further proven, "And Shane ain't no tracker, so he didn't come up behind him. They were together." 

"Daryl..." I started, but he stopped me. 

"I know, that's what I think too," Daryl said and then my mom walked up to him. 

"Would you please get back out there, find Rick and Shane and find out what on Earth is going on?" My mom asked and I nodded along with what she was saying. 

"You got it," He said as he walked off and she rubbed his arm as she thanked him. 

I followed him out onto the porch, and that's when we saw it. 

The massive heard of walkers headed our way. 

We were all shocked as we watched them. 

And we were all debating on what to, and then the decision was made by Hershel. He took a gun, and we made a plan. 

"You serious?" Daryl asked Hershel. 

"It's my farm. I'll die here," Hershel said as he walked off the porch. 

"All right, it's as good a night as any," Daryl said as he went over the railing. 

I followed Hershel, to back him up. 

"Let's do this," I said and he looked at me and smiled. 

And then we were firing at them. 

"Hershel come on!" My mom was yelling, "Casey!" 

"It's all right mom, I'll get him out of here," I yelled back at her. She didn't look too happy about leaving, but she did. 

And then my dad and Carl came to us. And they had us going to Hershel's truck. 

"Casey, you driving?" My dad asked and I nodded. 

I got in and my dad got in the passenger seat, while Hershel and Carl got in the back. 

"Where to?" I asked and my dad looked over at me. 

"The highway," He answered and we made it there as the sun rose. 

Once we were there, I looked at my dad. 

"Did you see Daryl get out?" I asked and he looked at me. 

"No, but he's a survivor. And he'll always come back for you," My dad said as he rubbed my back as I looked at him. 

We waited for what seemed like hours but was really only minutes. And then we had to think about just leaving.

 Then we heard the motorcycle first, then saw the rest of the cars. I was smiling and was at Daryl's side before he got off the bike. 

"Daryl," I said and hugged him and he hugged back. 

And I stayed tucked under his arm. 

And then we started talking about who was left, and there was doubt about Andrea, so Daryl wanted to go back. 

And then a walker was coming. 

"Stay off the main roads, the bigger the road, the more walkers, more assholes like this one. I got him," Daryl said as he took his crossbow and killed it. 

And then we were off again, this time I was on the back of Daryl's bike. 

Later that day, we had to stop, because of fuel. 

Then my dad told us that we were all infected, it activates when we die. I looked at Daryl and he could tell I was scared. 

We ended up camping at a stone place not far from the road, and while everyone was around the fire, we heard a noise, and it made people get jumpy. And none of us knew my dad was there, until he talked. 

"The last thing we need is for everyone to be running off in the dark," My dad said as he looked at us, "We don't have the vehicles. No one's traveling on foot." 

And after he said that, a tree branch snapped. 

"Don't panic," Hershel said as everyone looked the way the sound came from. 

"I'm not," Maggie said as she looked around slightly, "I'm not sitting here waiting for another herd to blow through. We need to move, now." 

"No one is going anywhere," My dad said and we all looked at him shocked, by his tone. 

"Do something," Carol said and he looked at her. 

"I am doing something!" He yelled at her, "I'm keeping this group together, alive. I've been doing that all along, no matter what. I didn't ask for this. I killed my best friend for you people, for christ's sake." 

The whole group looked at him, stunned, but Daryl and I didn't, we could never judge my dad, because we thought about killing him as well. 

"You saw what he saw like," My dad said as he looked around, at our reactions, "How he pushed me, how he compromised us, how he threatened us. The staged the whole Randall thing, led me out to put a bullet in my back. He gave me no choice. He was my friend, but he came after me." 

Carl started to cry, and it made my heartbreak. Daryl slung an arm around my shoulders. 

"My hands are clean," My dad said as he got more agitated, and was looking at us, watching us "Maybe you people are better off without me. Go ahead. I say there's a place for us, but maybe- maybe it's just another pipe dream. Maybe- Maybe I'm fooling myself again. Why don't you, why don't you go and find out yourself? Send me a postcard. Go on, there's the door. You can do better? Let's see how far you get. No takers? Fine, but let's get one thing straight, you're staying, this isn't a democracy anymore." 

Everyone was looking at my dad and then he walked off after he looked at everyone. 

And that was the start of the journey of my pregnancy and my mom's.