31

I was outside with Beth and Carl, when all of a sudden, Axel was shot. 

We ran for cover behind the bleachers. It was the one time I left my gun inside. 

I watched as Carl fired his gun, to out attackers. As this was happening, I knew we should've listened to Glenn, and I wished Daryl was there. 

We continued to run to get better cover, we got behind a concrete wall slab. There was so much gunfire happening, I couldn't tell where we were being shot up from. 

And then all of sudden, the gunfire stopped. 

I eased my head around the concrete slab.

And then Maggie ran outside. 

"Beth! CJ!" She yelled and she had automatics. We met her halfway and grabbed them. And that's when the gunfire started again. Beth got an extra gun for Carol. 

"Carol go!" Maggie yelled out to Carol, who was using Axel's body as a shield. She ran over to us, and grabbed her gun from Beth. 

And I was firing at the man in the guard tower. 

Then we heard a truck or something. We watched it run through our gate. And it almost hit Michonne. 

It sat there in the courtyard for a few seconds, we watched it, then the back opened to reveal that walkers were in it. 

I was terrified for Michonne and Hershel, who was in the field. I just kept firing at the man in the tower, along with Carol and Maggie. We eventually hit him. 

We opened the gate and started firing at the walkers, so people could get through. We watched as Glenn picked up Michonne and Hershel. 

We kept the gate open for them. 

I was relieved to see they were all right. 

And then I saw Daryl and Merle. I was shocked but also relieved to see that he returned. When he walked fully up to the prison, he looked at me. 

"How dare you?" I asked him as I rushed at him, I nearly knocked him over as I jumped into his arms. And then after I released him, I shoved him hard. 

"Sunshine, calm down," He said as he grabbed my wrist, "I'm back, I ain't leaving again." 

"You better not!" I screamed at him, "What about Willow? She can't grow up without her dad!" 

"Woah, brother, you got a kid?" Merle asked and I looked at him and glared. 

I didn't talk to him, I just continued to look over Daryl. 

The next day, we had Merle separated from us. I was sitting on the stairs, holding Willow, thinking about letting Merle see her. 

I mean he is her Uncle. 

"We're not leaving," My dad said as he cocked his gun. 

"We can't stay here," Hershel said as he looked at my dad. 

"What if there's another sniper?" Maggie asked as she looked at her dad, "A woof pallet won't stop those rounds." 

"We can't even go outside," Beth said as she looked at the group. 

"Not in the daylight," Carol said as she also looked around. 

"Rick says we're not running, we're not running," Glenn said as he addressed us all. 

"No, better to live like rats," Merle butted in. 

"You got a better idea?" My dad asked him. 

"Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night," Merle said as he looked at us, "And lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of here by now." 

"We ain't scared of that prick," Daryl said as he looked down at his brother from the second floor. 

"You should be," Merle said, and that made me stand up, "That truck through the fence thing, that's him just ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to." 

"Let's put him in the other cell block," Maggie said, she sounded annoyed and I couldn't blame her. 

"No, he's got a point," Daryl said and I knew he was right, Merle did. 

"This is all you, you started this," Maggie yelled at Merle. 

"No, I say the governor would've found us at some point," I said as I looked around and they were looking at me weird, "It's true. Now we have to stand up to him. We're not running, we're gonna stay and fight." 

"What difference whose fault it is?" Beth asked as she walked a little down the stairs, "What do we do?" 

"I said we should leave," Hershel said, as he tried to plead out his case again, "Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here." 

And my dad started to walk away and Hershel pushed himself up. 

"Get back here!" Hershel yelled at my dad, it made my dad stop and Hershel walked to him, on his crutches, "You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear, and do something." 

My dad still walked out. 

I looked up to Daryl and he looked down at me. 

We had argued about letting Merle see Willow and hold her. 

And I think I made my decision.