Case 7

"I... I can't believe this."

You incredulously state and reeves your engine to speed faster. "And Ranpo-san! Please wear the safety belt! We are speeding through the street right now, it's dangerous!" You instruct him and handle your steering wheel deftly and avoid the car from your lane. Glancing at your meter, you were sure you are going to receive a fine from breaking the speed limit right now. But you can worry about it later. Given your salary, it should be a cinch to settle it even if you are a lawyer who should abide law yourself.

How ironic...

"Hey! Cross that car! And that one too!" Ranpo completely disregards your warning and looks as excited as a child enjoying unofficial auto racing, which is not the case.

For someone whom you desperately ask for aid to solve the case right before the trial, he surprisingly said he didn't know how to get to the Court District by public transports of any vehicles available in his office. Isn't all that a basic and common knowledge? He even refused to take a taxi saying that he's too lazy to call one and search the location where the trial took place. And to add, he said everyone was absent from his office for some reason and that wasn't a lie. But somehow you feel something is fishy going on here.

However, you have no time to dwell on that right now.

Thanks to it, you have to pick him up from his office and bring him together with you back to the court as soon as possible.

There are only seven minutes left before the trial started.

You have to win this trial or else, that criminal will be freed from his charges. You can't let that happen. Determined, you focused on the street and skillfully evaded the vehicles on the street while pressing on your pedal.

You abruptly come into a stop, halting your car and parking at the empty car lot near the precinct.

Four minutes left.

You have never felt so miserable and desperate like this before, and to make matter worse, "Ranpo-san. Have you deduced the crime method yet?" You urgently ask him as you were briskly heading inside the premise.

"Ahhh, I hate running. Can we just take a stroll here?" He complains and refused to follow your pace. Ranpo slow down and leisurely took his sweet time, in which you had to stop and face him midway.

"There are only a few minutes left, we can't be late."

"I'm a famous detective. There's no need to hurry, they will wait for me to arrive instead." He adds nonchalantly. Even at a time like this, he's still being bratty with you.

You squint your eyes at him in exasperation with exhaustion gnawed at your very being. You thought that being humble and appeal to his aid was enough to win him over. But he needs that constantly? Jeez. He's even more atrocious than you initially thought he was.

"Fine. Ranpo-san, please take my hand right now. I am in a hurry and I really need your help with your Super Deduction!" You emphasized the important wording in desperation. It seems he won't cooperate with you unless you bribe him with what he wants to hear.

Ranpo beamed with a wide smile as he was pleased hearing that.

"Heh! I can't help it if you really plead me while looking desperately like that!"

You secretly wanted to roll your eyes, but you refrain from doing so.

Do you have to deal with him like this from time to time?

Well, you might find out about that in the future very soon.

Right now, you ran through the corridor with Ranpo in your hand.