Case 24

During the time when you studied law at university in criminology class, there was this one method of interrogation since the old times, and it is still being used today. Although it was a bit outdated. It was no different than how your ability works but in a more traditional way. A psychology test with a polygraph attached to the subject to detect whether what they are saying is false or not based on their pulse, result of time, and the answer they give. However, more often than not, the result is not entirely accurate. There is a chance from 70% to 90% for it to be correct. But most of the time, it becomes a fear sensor rather than lie detection when one is so nervous and scared when being questioned. That is why it has a small chance to be reliable. It has its weak points.

In the case of Ranpo however, who's ability (or his special innate skill) to tell the culprit method right away, he could tell how it was done.  But if there is no evidence to back out his accusation, then it was not enough to apprehend the culprit based on his deduction alone. And for you who could tell if the culprit was lying, there is no use if they deny it without proof to claim that they were not telling the truth in court. Well, of course, Ranpo's brilliance and ability are no doubt impeccable and you have no flaw with your ability either.

However, to bring the absolute truth to light, you two must work together. But...

"You want me to interrogate the suspect instead?" Ranpo asks you back in bafflement, he crosses his arms together, eyes still squint closed as he leans back on his chair. "Why do you always take such a boring measure? Did I not just solve the case?" There's a hint of his usual haughtiness in his tone. Yes, he still sounds arrogant but you needed his help so you have to swallow your pride. 

"Yes, you certainly did. But if we fail to make the suspect confess his crime and prove it was him, it will not mean anything in the court. You know, we have laws and such. I know it's boring to you, but it's the procedures we must go through."

"Hee... what a pain. I guess it cannot be helped then. So, what do you want me to ask?" Although he sounds like he is still a bit reluctant, Ranpo is still willing to lend you a hand. Well, to begin with, this was the case that he passed on to you before. Still, you are glad that he is willing to cooperate with you.

"The police have begun to question him first. We will wait our turn. In the meanwhile," you drew something on the paper that you have requested Minoura to prepare. Although it was not so artistic, the drawing is still good enough to tell what the drawing is about. "All you need to do is ask the suspect each of this drawing and I will be the one to observe whether he was telling a lie or not."

"Hoo... so you are going to be a lie detector then?" Ranpo inquired with a bit of interest and then he skimps through your drawing. His emerald eyes peeking through.

"Well, isn't that what I am?"

A walking lie detector.

"Eh wait a minute. What is this? All these drawing looks no more like a toddler scribble. The neighbor kid near my house could've done better."

"Hey, please don't insult my drawing skill! You still can tell what it was right? Just trust me in this." Your temple twitch with his direct remark. Good grief, he can be so blunt sometimes and it hurt your pride more as you didn't detect he was lying. So insensitive to a frail maiden heart such as yours.

Or that, he really did not know how to appreciate 'art'. 

*

Fukiya is also a student who went to Waseda University and he has been a friend with Saito since their sophomore year. However, contradicting Saito who seems meek and timid in his attitude, Fukiya is someone who appears calm and composed. During that that the murder happened, he was taking a walk near the place and even passed in front of Youzo's house and then he went to a police station to return a wallet he had found on the side road.