Chapter 5 - We Messed Up

Shawn Hunter is walking in a park in Greenwich Village trying to figure out how did things go so terrible wrong.
His best friend is dead.
His fiancé left him.
The girl who has always admired him doesn't want to talk to him.
So what is next?
He can hear Cory saying 'What now Shawnie?' but he knows it isn't wise to leave everything as it is.
What can he possibly do?
He doesn't let himself think too much.
His phone rings and he sees that it is Katy.

"Katy what's wrong?" Shawn asks.
"She's gone. Maya is gone Shawn. She took her phone, her backpack, her clothes... Maya ran away," Katy said through her tears and Shawn went blank.
"Okay calm down. I'll be there in a second. In the meantime call the police," Shawn said and rushed to his car.

He rushed to the apartment and saw Kart talking to a police officer.
The whole place was a crime scene and even though he didn't want to admit it Maya was gone.

"Shawn," Katy said and ran into Shawn's arms.
"Hey it's okay. What happened?" Shawn asked.
"I went to check on her after she has been quiet for a few hours but she wasn't in her room. I saw that a few pictures and pieces of clothing were gone as well as her phone and her backpack. I found her key under the doormat and immediately knew she wasn't here," Katy said.
"Do either of you remember what Miss Hart's state was before she left?"
"She was in a state. It was shortly after I fought with my fiancé. It didn't go very well and she saw the entire thing. We both tried to get her out of her room but couldn't. Shawn went for a drive and I quickly went for a walk. When I came back the door was locked and I found her key under the doormat," Katy said.
"Has this happened before?"
"Yeah once. She then went to Shawn's place on Upstate New York. It was shortly before we got engaged," Katy said.
"Can she possibly be there? I mean if she did go there once she can..."
"The place is rented out to other people. But I guess I can check. I should have a lost of places where she goes as well," Shawn said.
"I have a few minor places. But not much," Katy said and gave Shawn a book.
"Okay tell you what. You stay here than I'll go to Upstate and see if she is at any of these places. Let me know when you hear anything," Shawn said and was gone.

"Just a few more questions Mrs Hart. Her friends. Is it possible she is with any of them? I know she is best friends with Riley Matthews."
"She got killed with her parents in a car accident six weeks ago. My daughter was also involved and just got discharged from the hospital. But there is a couple of other friends which I will contact as soon as possible. I can give you her father's number as well but I doubt she will be with him. He left ten years ago without having contact."

It was four hours later and both Katy and Shawn were done with everything that needs to be done.
It was way past one the morning and Shawn came in the apartment.

"Nothing. Not in Upstate or any of these places. I don't know where to search more," Shawn said and Katy sigh.
"Yeah I contacted Lucas Friar and the surviving friends but nothing. Neither has heard anything from Maya. I even went as far to contact Riley's grandparents but... They also haven't heard a thing. What are we going to do Shawn?" Katy asked.
"We messed up," Shawn said.