Chapter 20 - Speaking My Mind

It was just a few days later and of course Maya was still trying to go on.
She was still devastated about everything but she surely wasn't going to let it get her down.
She was at the moment just playing with Auggie while Josh sat inches away from her.
Since her break down earlier the week he has tried to be more there for her and so.

"You guys probably have to head home soon," Amy said as she sat down.
"What? So soon?" Auggie asked.
"Yeah. Maya has school on Monday and I have to head back to NYU. But we'll visit again. I promise," Josh said.
"Please stay," Auggie said looking at Maya.
"I wish we could, Buddy, but your uncle is right. We have to head back home. My mom is going to get worried," Maya said.
"She doesn't worry. She never cared. You were always with us," Auggie said.
"August, go to your room please. The adults want to talk," Alan said and Auggie went up.

"He's right. My mother doesn't care. She never did. I don't know what is going to happen with me," Maya said.
"You'll be fine. Hopefully we'll get you all ready for the..."
"Katy called of the engagement. She and Shawn aren't together anymore. It looks like that is done," Josh said.
"I'm going to see if he is okay," Maya said and went upstairs

"Katy Hart cares for nobody besides herself. How is Maya supposed to get over this now? She needs someone. She needs her mother but she couldn't even care less that Maya is here," Josh said.

~

Maya knocked on the door going inside finding Auggie curled up in a ball on his bed.
She sighs as she walks over to him sitting down on the bed.
Suddenly Auggie starts sobbing and Maya gently places her hand on his back moving it back and forth.
She tries to make Auggie feel be has someone but it doesn't help.
Josh appears in the door and sees how Maya is trying to keep her tears from falling.
She can't handle Auggie and Josh can't handle her.
So what are they supposed to do next?
Maya brushes a strand of hair out of her face as she lays down next to Auggie.

"Puzzle pieces, throw them up into the air. Taking chances. Moments happen everywhere. But I got you to live them with me. I feel all right, I'm gonna take on the world. Light up the stars, I've got some pages to turn," Maya sang making Auggie look at her.
"Both your parents and Riley loved you so incredibly much, you won't ever know how much it was. They will always be here, Auggie. Always," Maya said.
"She's right," Josh said as he went to sit down next to them as Maya got up.

"Auggie, your parents are in your heart. And the memories will always remain," Josh said.
"Your uncle is right. And every time you think of them don't think of it as their last day with you. But think of it as one of many good memories that you carry along with you," Maya said.
"They're here?" Auggie asked and Maya nod.
"They are. And they will always be," Maya said.

Josh smiles as he looks at how Maya really does give Auggie advice on how to handle the situation with his family being gone and he truly got lost in her voice.
Not just did he really see her for herself but he also saw the vulnerable side of Maya Hart.