Chapter 10 - What Happened

It was late the afternoon and Josh finally got done with all his classes for the day.
Of course he wanted to get to Maya's early but he had a few things to do.
But he did wonder what happened between her and her parents.
Not that Shawn was her father but the closest she had to a dad.
Josh went straight from NYU to the apartment and knocked on the door.
Maya opened up and let him in.

"What are you doing here?" Maya asked.
"I told you I would visit or don't you remember?" Josh asked and Maya sat down on the couch.
"I do. I didn't know if 'See you later' meant you would visit," Maya said and Josh knew something was wrong.
"Okay what is the matter?" Josh asked and sat down next to Maya.
"I started to remember how I got to the cemetery," Maya said.
"Maya what is going on? It's clear that you are not the same girl I saw at Ski Lodge. What happened?" Josh asked.
"We got home and I wasn't feeling like people. I rushed to my room and just stayed away from my mom and Shawn. When I came back out I saw how they were fighting and my mom..."

Suddenly Maya couldn't talk anymore and went quiet.
Josh knew it must have been something terrible but also something Shawn didn't tell him about.
But why?
What is she going to say?

"My mom slapped Shawn through the face before she threw her engagement ring on the table. When he took it he looked up and saw me. I ran to my room, locking it. I didn't want to face anyone. A few hours later I was feeling so overwhelmed I packed a few things and head out the door. Without knowing where to go I just went to the cemetery to try and understand what to do next. Next thing I remember was that you sat next to me and talked to me. I don't know why I couldn't say anything. I... I don't know what to do," Maya said.
"It's okay Maya. You don't have to know what to do immediately. Just try and get better. When you're well enough to handle news I'm sure Shawn and your mom will tell you," Josh said and Maya looked at him.
"According to who are they still together? I think it's done Josh. This entire thing with your brother is going to destroy them. It did destroy them. I don't think my mother is thinking about a future with Shawn. I heard them talking. My mother told Shawn that I'm not his daughter and we'll manage without him," Maya said.
"I'm so sorry Maya," Josh said.
"It's my own fault. I became more and more distant from everyone. Trying to be strong not having contact with anyone I... I did this to myself," Maya said and Josh pulled her close.
"No you did not. You did nothing of the earth. I'll tell you what you did. You tried going on without everyone freaking out over you. I'll tell you what. I have to go to Philadelphia in two days. My parents are having a hard time with Auggie. Why don't you come with? Even just to get some air away from NYC," Josh said.
"I'll speak to my mother," Maya said.
"You're not alone. I never want you to think that again. Okay?" Josh said and Maya smiled.
"Okay," Maya said.
"And tomorrow when you wake up everything will be better. Nothing stays this way forever," Josh said.
"Thank you Josh."