Chapter 18 - Be Strong

"Maya is with Auggie. But this isn't going to be easy. And I'm not just talking about Auggie. He ran to Maya and bursted into tears. Maya tried to calm him down and later laid him down on his bed. She had her hand on his back trying to calm him down. And with the other hand she caught a tear of her own. I don't think this is going to be as easy as I thought," Josh said.
"Your father should be home in awhile," Amy said.
"I knew she would be able to help him. But it seems she is just more upset than yesterday. She ran away and it was an entire story to get something out of her," Josh said and Alan came through the door.

"Ah I thought it was your car outside. How long have you been here?"
"Just a bit over an hour," Josh said greeting his father.
"Where is that friend of yours?" Alan asked.
"Maya is with Auggie. He is a bit upset but it seems like she can calm him down. I just don't know if she can stay calm herself. She hasn't said much to anyone yet and her first day back at school wasn't great either. She is staying the entire week. Things are a bit crazy at school," Josh said and saw Maya coming down the stairs.

"Hey how is he?" Josh asked and Maya stood next to him.
"Calm," Maya said and Josh threw his arm over her shoulder.
"Thank you. We are having a struggle with him," Amy said.
"Yeah. We don't get him calm very often. We're glad you're here Maya. Auggie needs someone close to his sister," Alan said.
"Why don't we go on a walk?" Josh asked.
"Yeah. That might be good," Maya said.
"We'll be back in ten minutes," Josh said and they were gone.

They walked awhile till they came to a park.
They sat down and Josh saw Maya was a bit calmer.
Her eyes were locked on a boy and girl playing in front of them.
Josh smiled as he knew it wasn't entirely the end.

"Do you ever think how different things would have been if your dad had stayed?" Josh asked.
"Often. But it doesn't help wondering. Things are the way it is," Maya said.
"I saw how you were acting. With Auggie. It's nice knowing there is someone who can help him just as much as Topanga did," Josh said.
"The last time I saw him like that was five years ago when your brother got into a car accident. It's upsetting seeing him like this," Maya said.
"Yeah I figured. But some people are good at hiding everything. He will get over it all," Josh said.
"In the mean time your parents have to stay strong. I could see when we stepped in the house and he didn't react to your mother calling that she was torn. She isn't over the death of her son. I want to help Auggie. He really does look... He is shattered," Maya said.
"And you? I don't want to see you fall apart. And I know you are also still trying to recover from the accident," Josh said.
"I'll be fine. I promise. You're right. Taking some time away from school and New York is the best I can do right know. I must just keep on going. Of course it's not getting better overnight but every day it will get easier."
"I know you want tot move on but unfortunately it doesn't go away overnight. Six weeks later and Auggie is still mourning," Josh said.
"He's just a little boy. I will be fine. If I struggle I'll say so," Maya said.