25. Infinity

*Alfie's Pov*

I walked back with the two coffees to see that the doctor was back in Zoe's room and she was sitting up in bed. She saw me through the window and managed a weak smile, my heart kind of broke a little to see her struggle to smile saying as she was usually so happy and full of laughter.

"Ah, Mr Alfie? Is it?" the doctor asked.

"Um yea." I said.

"Well I'm sure your friends will inform you with the news" he nodded, smiled and walked out of the room.

"What is it?" I asked.

"They found a donor Alf. I'm going to be okay."

I smiled.

I actually freaking smiled for once. She was going to be okay, they found a blood donor! Zoe reached for my face, cupped my chin and kissed me.

"Ew" Joe said as he made one of his signiture funny faces. We laughed for ages then, I thought I had forgotten how to. But I hadn't and it felt so good.

"When are you getting it?" I asked.

"It will arrive from America tomorrow night." Zoe's dad replied.

***

Everyone was asleep.
I looked at Zoe and she was staring at the ceiling and then I remembered the present I had gotten her.

"Zo, close your eyes and put your hand out." I said. She opened her hand with little energy and closed her eyes and smiled slightly. I took the little velvet box out of my pocket.
"Open" I said. She obeyed and looked down and her eyes went wide.
"It's not what you think." I laughed and opened the box to reveal two silver infinity rings. Engraved in them was 'always' and 'forever'.

"They are promise rings" I explained, "They go on your pinky finger, or your promise finger. These mean that we will always promise to be together no matter where we are and that we always promise to stay with each other no matter what."

"Oh, Alf" Zoe gasped and she silently cried, "I love them."

"Here put it on." I said as I put the 'always' on her right promise finger then I put the other on mine. I shivered at the cold temperature of her frail hands. She tried, but failed, to reach up to put her arm round me so instead I hugged her and didn't let go. She said into my shoulder, " I love you Alf"

"I love you too Zoe."