Voices, Scents and a One-Man Rescue

Dan sat alone in the apartment. Nothing has changed, that's what Phil said, right? So why was he sat here by himself? Phil was out with Jess, of course, and he was probably having a wonderful time without him there. He was sat here blankly staring at some show that he wasn't watching, trying to push them out of his mind, and failing, miserably.

They arrived at the tube station to find their tube was already waiting, so they ran down the steps towards it. Jess looked around, there were so many people surrounding her. She was momentarily mesmerised by them until, from behind, Phil gently shoved her in the direction of the nearest tube doors and finally, she stepped on.

The tube was packed with all kinds of people. Business men and women, parents and their children, drunks, and any other type of person you could think of. Jess found herself stood underneath the armpit of a man who smelt of beer and sweat, to the left of her was a woman holding a young boy and behind her stood a heavily drunk old man who smelt, mainly, of urine. She listened to the constant babble of different languages all around her, soon engulfed in her own thoughts.

Suddenly, the tube jolted to a halt at the next stop. Jess felt herself fall slightly backwards into the old man behind her. She closed her eyes, gagging from the stench before feeling two hands grab her waist and pull her into a warm, protective embrace. She opened her eyes, shocked, then turned to recognise the blue eyes staring into her own, wearing a worried look. "I'm fine." She smiled, hugging her arms around his, as he hugged back harder.