21. A Long Sermon

Molly sleeps in my bed after we finally return home after our date. The idea, to remain in separate beds, had it's merit at the time but lately it seemed that we always ended up tangled in each other's sheets come morning. She hugs a pillow to her chest and I smile, reaching forward to brush a loose strand of hair from her face.

She was so stressed every single second of the day when she was awake. It was weird to be privy to the moments when she was curled up in my bed, the picture if serenity.

Her nose scrunched up and slowly, her eyes flutter open to meet mine. "Why are you staring at me?" she asks in a whisper.

I shrug. "You're pretty."

She chuckles. It was only a bit past six which meant that I was right on track to go to church. It was something I needed to do for myself this morning. It had been too long and besides, I needed to have an adult conversation with my family about my impending nuptials.

"I'm going to church" I tell her. She reaches out and places her hand against my bare chest. My heart thumps harder beneath her touch.

"Mkay. Want me to come?" she asks. I shake my head, placing my hand over hers.

"No. Get some sleep."

"I'm awake now" she argues, moving her hand up to wrap around my neck. "If you want me there then I'll come."

I smile down at her, reaching down to press a gentle, loving kiss to her lips. "I'll be okay. Thank you though."

"You're just shielding me from your mother's lecture" she replies, dropping her hand altogether and returning to the embrace with her pillow. "You don't have to protect me El. I'm capable of standing up to your mother."

"I have no doubt" I agree. She had done it enough...behind her back so far but nevertheless. Molly was fearless when it came to her beliefs and opinions. "Do you really want to come?"

"No" she admits and I chuckle. "I just don't want her to yell at you because she can't yell at me." I shrug. I had grown used to that. My mother was less than thrilled when I had come home from work on a dreary afternoon and told her I had met someone at work. Of course she immediately thought I meant a doctor...imagine her surprise when I informed her it was a patient that had stolen my heart.

"I can take it" I insist once more. "I'll be home later. I love you." She hums in response and I finally climb out of bed to get ready to go.

~

The church is packed when I walk in just minutes before the sermon is set to begin.

I notice Troy and Cadence first...then Jen to my friend's left. She seemed more interested in talking to Troy rather than the man on her other side. In retrospect, I couldn't blame her since her fiancè was quite literally more boring than a box of rocks but I didn't like the idea of my sister growing close to Troy again.

They were like gasoline and fire.

I slowly walk towards them, hoping to avoid my parents who I notice in the pew opposite my friends but unfortunately they notice me. "Elliot" my mother exclaims, jumping up to hug me as if I'm finally coming home after some long journey. I suppress an eye roll.

"Hi mom." I hug her back, ignoring her dramatics.

"It's so good to see you" she says, stepping back to look at me. "We didn't think you'd show up." Again, could she be more dramatic?

"I'm not chained to my house, ma. I'm allowed to leave" I remind her coldly. She purses her lips and I follow her to their pew. My dad offers me a tight smile and I return it as the pastor walks out.