13. Baby Talk

The baby monitor wakes me up early on Monday morning but I hear my door opening before I have a chance to climb out of bed. I look up and find Elliot switching off the on the button and I furrow my eyebrows at him. "What are you doing?" I ask confusedly and he stops in his tracks, clearly not thinking that I was awake. 

"My classes got cancelled this morning" he explain simply. "But since I was already up I thought I'd get Leah." A smile tugs at my lips. He really was too thoughtful. 

"Okay" I agree, lying back on my bed and snuggling up under the covers. "If you need me though, make sure you wake me up."

"Of course sweetheart" he says softly, leaning down to kiss my cheek before slipping out of my room and leaving me to fall back asleep. 

It's not until a little past ten in the morning when I finally wake up again and I climb out of bed and head into the living room where I find Elliot watching Paw Patrol with Leah. "When's your next class?" I ask him, my voice scratchy since I've just woken up. He glances up at me and smiles. 

"I decided to stay home today. I have Jake taking notes for me. I wanted to let you sleep since it was my drama that kept you up all weekend." I roll my eyes as I lean against the couch, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"It wasn't all your fault. I was the one who wanted to throw the party. Technically this all happened because of my horrible idea" I add but he scoffs. 

"This all happened because my best friend refuses to stay away from my sister" he argues. I knew that there was no point in arguing with him and I wasn't in any position to dispute his worries. I didn't know his friends or his sister as well as he did and so despite my belief that his sister was probably telling the truth about being just friends with Troy, I couldn't know for sure. Hell, I kept Avery in the dark about my relationship with Jason for months and I'm sure no one suspected a thing before we started slipping up. 

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I look down at the screen to find a reminder going off on my phone that I had a doctor's appointment today. My eyes widen. "Shit." He looks over at me confused. 

"Something wrong?"

I shake my head. "I forgot about my doctor's appointment today" I explain and his eyebrows knit in confusion. 

"Is there something wrong?" he asks worriedly but again I shake my head, pocketing my phone. 

"No, nothing like that. It's my annual check-up" I explain. "And since I had Leah it's not really something I'm allowed to skip."

"Oh, okay" he nods. "I can watch her while you're gone" he offers and I look past him at my daughter who was contently sitting on the floor watching her show. It wasn't that I didn't trust Elliot, it was just that I worried anytime she wasn't around me or Jason. I bite my bottom lip, looking back at my fiance. 

"Okay" I give in, releasing a deep sigh. "But if you need me or if something happens make sure you call me. Please."

He rolls his eyes, leaning forward to peck my lips. "You worry too much my dear. Go to your appointment and we'll be here when you get back." 

I nod my head, standing up and heading to my room to get dressed. I had no reason to worry. Elliot was great with Leah and I'd be home sooner rather than later. Everything would be fine. 

***********************************************************************************************

My exam goes by rather quickly which I'm beyond grateful for but the questions afterwards seemingly take forever. I miss the days when physicals took ten minutes and the most invasive question they asked was if you wore a helmet when you rode a bicycle. 

"Alright" she murmurs, typing into her computer. "Moving onto your sexual health. Your birth control is up for renewal this year. Are we interested in refilling it?" she asks and I bite my bottom lip, thinking over the question seriously. Of course I didn't necessarily need it right now but it comforted me to know that if we did end up having sex that we'd be covered. 

"Yea" I nod. "And if let's say I wanted to start trying to get pregnant, about how long would I need to be off it to conceive?"

"Well, the pill stops ovulation which is how eggs are released to be fertilized so it usually takes the body about three months to start the process again once you stop taking the pill. Are you planning to give Leah a sibling in the near future?"

I shrug. "I'm engaged and my fiance's parents are sorta pushing for grandkids. They want them sooner rather than later and I was planning on going off the pill when we got married but three months seems rather soon to be pregnant. We'd still be newlyweds" I mutter under my breath. 

She gives me a supportive smile. "Becoming a parent again is a big step and shouldn't be taken lightly. It's also something you should talk to your partner about. Communication is important."

I nod in understanding. I would certainly talk to him about it but a part of me worried that he wouldn't mind adding to our family three months into our marriage and that was terrifying. I couldn't imagine being pregnant again by summertime. "Anything other concerns?" she asks but I shake my head. My only concern was finding out what Elliot thought about this new information. I needed to get home.

***********************************************************************************************

I walk into the house and find Elliot sitting on the couch working on some homework with the baby monitor on the coffee table in front of him. I close the door and he looks up at me. "Hey babe, how was the doctor?" he asks as I walk into the room and plop down onto the armchair. 

"It was intense" I admit, looking over at him. "Is Leah asleep?" I ask, glancing down the hall and he nods. "Good" I breathe out, sitting up. "Do you remember when we talked about getting married this spring and we discussed how we wanted to wait to grow our family even if it drove our parents insane?"

He chuckles, nodding his head. "Yea I remember. Did something happen at the doctor that changed that?" he asks and I sigh, dropping my head into my hands. 

"I asked my doctor how long it would take for my birth control to wear off once I stopped taking it and she told me it could take up to three months."

"And?" he asks. "Are you worried that it'll take too long when we finally want another baby?" I purse my lips together and he sighs, moving towards me and kneeling in front of me. "Molly. When we get married we're obviously going to be having sex and without the pill our chances of slipping up and getting you pregnant are going to greatly increase but if you're worried-."

"I'm worried about everything" I cut him off. "I'm worried about getting pregnant too soon after we get married, I'm worried about waiting too long, I'm worried about never being able to get pregnant again, period" I finish, shaking my head as tears well up in my eyes. "It's impossible to make everyone happy and I'm so stressed out about this metaphorical child-."

Elliot's lips close over mine and I inhale sharply as I kiss him back, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling him closer. He pulls away from me, gently breaking our kiss and resting his forehead against mine. "Molly baby I need you to take a breath and for just a moment, take your own advice and stop giving a shit what everyone else wants. We made the decision to wait for another baby and we're sticking to it no matter what our families may want. If somewhere along the way you end up pregnant on accident then that's what was supposed to happen but I promise you, when we have a baby of our own, it'll be when it's meant to happen, not when we plan it. Okay?"

I nod and he smiles, wiping my tears. "You're getting good at these talks" I murmur and he laughs. 

"I'm trying" he says playfully, pecking my lips. "Do you wanna maybe look at some wedding venues online? Some of them are pretty cool, they might help you de-stress."

I quirk an eyebrow at him. "I thought we were getting married in a church."

He laughs. "Oh baby you haven't seen some of these churches" he says, moving towards the coffee table to grab his laptop and my heart swells. I swore before Leah and Elliot came into my life that it was impossible to love two people so much but honestly, they were the two best things that have ever happened to me and my love for both of them was infinite.