forty-one // luke

Luke's POV //ooh switching it up//

The wheels of my car made crunching sounds over gravel as I pulled into Amanda's driveway Thursday morning. I sighed, pulling out my phone to let her know I was here.

luke: i'm here

amanda: i'll be out in a minute, i need to finish putting on my eyeliner

I just rolled my eyes, opening up a different conversation.

take me away from here jfc

sorry luke, you're the one who agreed to this.

but calummmmm

no buts. it's your own fault.

whatever.

...luke do you even like amanda?

I bit my lip and took a glance up to see the front door opening.

no. gtg, amanda's coming.

we're talking about this later. amanda can get a different ride home.

I laughed and shut my phone right as Amanda opened the door. "Hey, Lukey," She said, grinning at me and leaning over the arm rest to give me a kiss. I just sat there, unresponsive. "Something wrong?" She asked when she pulled away, and I discreetly wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

"Nope," I said, pursing my lips as I backed out. "Nothing at all."

She beamed. "Oh, okay!"

The drive to school was one of the longest of my life; Amanda kept trying to make small talk, me only giving short answers. Finally she seemed to give up as we arrived.

"Where are you going?" She asked, trying to run after me in her seven-inch heels as I started walking away from her.

"To find my friends."

"You don't want me to come?"

"I need to talk to them."

"About what?"

"Stuff."

"Well what about me?"

"What do you mean what about you?" I asked, spinning on my heel and facing her. "I'm a human being. If I rather spend time with my friends than you let me."

She stood still, her mouth opening and closing like a fish. "Fine then. I'll just leave, hmm?" She said.

"That would be the ideal choice, wouldn't it?" I said. She huffed, spinning around and storming off.

I rolled my eyes again, heading towards the back of the library. I sent a text to Calum, telling him to meet me there.

I took out a book whilst I waited, bored out of my mind. So many things were happening lately, and at this point I just wanted to escape reality, if only for a while.

"Hey." I felt two small taps on my shoulder before Calum pulled up a chair beside me. He looked at the book in m hands and raised his eyebrow. "Paper Towns? Really?"

I shrugged, mumbling something about it being a pretty good book. "Anyway, what'd you want to talk about?"

Calum gulped and played with the sleeves of his sweater. "Luke, I really don't think we should talk about his here. I'd prefer to do it somewhere else."

My eyebrows scrunched together.

"Okay," I said with a small frown. "Than why did you ask me if I even like Amanda? Can you talk about that?"