The List

One week. That's how much longer I had until the homecoming dance, that's also how much time I had to make my move. Typically, I'm not the one who makes the move, but with a lack of movement from both sides I have to.

I've spoken to Johnny Brown a couple of times in the several years that he's gone to school here. Mostly for class project purposes, none of which required me to go over to his house and have him fall madly in love with me, like in all the stories. Not that that would happen in the first place but I have to have something to occupy my mind.

As I walked down the steps, wrapped up in my jacket, making my way to the bus, I decided today I will ask Johnny to homecoming. If I don't do it today, I never will.

The morning was colder than usual for October around here but I ignored it and made my way to my seat towards the back of the bus.

I dug in my book bag looking for my earbuds only to find out that I had left them at home.

Great.

I leaned my head against the window as we drove off down the street. My head smacking the window slightly as it vibrated from the movement. Just down the street the bus stopped at the next kids house.

Dominic Harrison.

The bus pulled up and came to a stop, and like most days, he was not outside waiting.

The bus driver, Tess, was absolutely sick of this by now. She honked her horn warning him.

Light from the windows spilled out into the early morning darkness. I could just make out his figure running back and forth between two rooms upstairs.

She honked her horn again.

Through the window I could see him nearly fall down the stairs and out the door. His coat was half on and he was dragging his bag but, the bus had already started driving away.

In an instant he took off down the sidewalk, chasing after the bus. I watched as he ran as fast as he could, did Tess do this on purpose?

We came to the stop sign at the end of the road and Tess opened the doors for him. He stumbled on, looking a mess. Tess said something to him and he nodded. His green eyes meeting mine and he smiled.

We weren't necessarily friends, but I've talked to him a few times and he seems really nice. He was a grade ahead of me but we had choir together.

He made his way to the seat behind me, where he was assigned to sit.

I leaned my head against the window again, trying to formulate a plan on how to ask Johnny to homecoming.

It didn't take long for us to get to school, we made it earlier than we usually do despite Dominic making us wait.

Everyone pushed and shoved their way off the bus, stepping back out into the chilly air. The sun was showing now.

I stared at the building in front of me, feeling intimidated about whats I was to accomplish today.

As I was heading in someone fell into step with me.

I looked over to see Dominic, wearing a goofy smile, and surprisingly no make up. He usually has on some eyeliner, but if it's a special occasion, lipstick. I remember one eighth grader trying to make fun of him for it once, he laughed it off but the kid tried relentlessly to piss him off. It didn't work at all.

"I think one of these days she's just gonna drive right by." He said, referring to Tess.

I nodded.

"I think she waited till you were almost out of the house to leave." I laughed. "I could see you running around."

He ran a hand through his hair and it fell into his eyes.