11. Thanks

Chapter 11—Thanks

Klara’s POV:

          Well, this was a first.

          Normally, whenever I went to parties and woke up next morning, I’d be in some stranger’s bed with absolutely no clothes on and no recollection of what had happened during the night. This time, however, it was only the latter.

          Yeah, I woke up in a stranger’s bed, but every article of clothing I had on from last night—aside from my shoes—were still on my body, just as I had put them on before the party. My head was pounding because of the obvious hangover, and I could just feel my bed head as I slowly lifted my head from the pillow it had been resting on, squinting my eyes as I blinked them open.

          It was most definitely a guy’s room I was waking up in—the posters on the wall and the way the room was decorated told me that much. Letting out a groan, I sat up on the bed, running a hand through my messed up hair as I looked around. I was shocked, if I’m being honest, when I saw that I was fully clothed and there was no unfamiliar guy in the bed next to me, sound asleep.

          “What the hell?” I muttered to myself, wincing slightly as my head throbbed. There was no one else in the room, just me, which wasn’t the usual thing. Usually, I’d be the first one awake to leave the guy in the bed the morning after a one night stand—not the other way around.

          “Hey, you’re awake.”

          I looked to my right and saw none other than Vin, my sister’s innocently blue eyed tutor, walking into the room with a glass of water in one hand and something enclosed in his other. I sat up properly, running a hand through my hair as I furrowed my eyebrows. “What happened? And where the fuck am I?”

          Vin walked further into the room where I was, and offered the glass of water along with a Tylenol pill. “Here,” he said, “it’ll help with the hangover.”

          I stared at him for a second, before taking the two things from him. “Thanks,” I muttered before swallowing down the pill with the water. I then looked back up at him and asked, “Where am I?”

          “Pete’s house,” he answered, sitting down on the edge of the bed. “You passed out after drinking so I just told you to sleep here.”

          I put the glass on the bedside table, looking at Vin once more. “And what are you still doing here?”

          “I decided to stick around,” he mumbled. “Pete can be a creep, so I just slept on the floor to make sure he didn’t do anything stupid,” he added, gesturing towards the ground.

          I followed his finger to the floor, and it was the first time I noticed a makeshift bed on the floor; with blankets and pillows. My lips pressed together at the action, because despite me always making fun of and commenting on Vin, that was actually an extremely sweet gesture that no one had done before—especially for me.

          “Oh, well,” I began, clearing my throat as I stood up and fixed my dress. “You didn’t have to do that.”

          “I know,” he shrugged. “But you’re Leah’s sister and she’s my friend—it felt wrong to just, like, leave you here.”

          I bit the inside of my lower lip, nodding as my eyes landed on my heels as I quickly put them on. “Well, um, thanks for that,” I said, suddenly feeling awkward—which made me want to smack myself because I was never awkward. Especially not in front of innocent, doe-eyed looking boys like Vin.