Chapter 34

Alexa POV

Green skin was the first thing I saw when I woke the very next morning. My eyes flicker to Leo’s closed eyelids and a faint smile etches its way to my face when I see his eyes twitch only the slightest bit. His peaceful, silent state he’s in when he’s sleeping is nothing like his intoxicated state. I flinch at the memories of last night. Even though there was not as much violence as I expected, it was still our worst night we’ve had together.

His arms envelop me in a secure embrace and it takes all of my willpower to resist snuggling against him even more. Instead, I toss myself around, so I’m facing away from him, and uncover ourselves from the thin blanket he must’ve covered us with last night. Behind me, I hear a groan and his arms untangle from around me. I stand up and face him with my hands on my hips. The bleak, concrete, sewer ground is icy to the touch, causing goose bumps to rise on my arms.

His semi-open, sleep-filled eyes wander to my face. Immediately, he pushes himself up on his palms and sits straight up, as if I’m some proper, sophisticated person. He rubs his eyes and ties his mask back around his head.

“How do you feel? Are you still... drunk?” I whisper warily.

“No, I feel normal,” he says groggily, I’m hoping from sleep.

“Good, then...” I trail off. I honestly have no clue what to say next. Do we figure this out? Or leave it, as if he gets the message that he needs to win me back.

I pause.

A grin sets on my lips as I imagine Leo on his knees, begging for my forgiveness.

“I’m sorry, Alexa, I clearly wasn’t thinking when I did that last night. I had your voice in my head telling me not to, but I didn’t listen,” he pauses and rests his head in his hands. “I don’t know why.”

He sucks in a deep breath, but still keeps his head in his hands, facing the ground.

“Look at me,” I order. I don’t crouch down so we are eye level, like I always would’ve. I stand tall so he can appear beneath me.

He does as he’s told and looks up at me with now bloodshot eyes. The hands on my hips almost drop when I see the sight, but instead I swallow and do my best to look intimidating.

“I don’t know if I can fully forgive you for what you’ve done, you know that right?” my eyes never leave his, while his never leave mine.

Even when he’s trying his best to conceal his emotions, I can still make out the obvious sadness behind his eyes that look like they’re made out of glass. He gives me a small nod. I’m hoping this’ll mean that he knows that he has to attempt to win me back. But I know I’ll give in no matter what he does.

“You won’t be disappointed at all. I will get you back, and we can be together and happy, once again,” he says triumphantly. He stands and gives me a quick brush of his lips on my cheek, before I can pull away, (not that I wanted to anyways) and then marches out of the room.