Chapter 1

"Good luck, Tami-tan! You got this!" my friend, Sakura, cheered.

I smiled as I looked back at my friend, Sakura. She had always been much shorter than me, but she was way prettier than I was since her parents let her wear make-up. Even though we were all wearing the same uniform that was only different for those of us who needed some sort of alteration, she still managed to make sure she could stand out as her dark hair was tied in a green ribbon.

We weren't friends because I wanted styling tips or anything. I was fine not having my face touched with chemicals or making sure my hair was perfect. Sakura and I were best friends because she was the first person who would talk to me when I first moved to Japan. She was the first person to call me Tami-tan. If I had things my way, everyone would just call me Tami, but moving here to Japan, well, I learned a lot of people liked adding stuff to the ends of names to show how close they are. I had to get use to it, even if I wasn't a fan.

My first day in Japan taught me a lot. The biggest lesson was to keep to myself and keep my big mouth shut. True, I was six at the time, so the transition should've been easy. It wasn't. My immediate family left the rest of my family behind, which was hard being how close I was to some of my cousins, aunts, and uncles.

Why would we move to a place where we knew no one? The answer was simple. I was born with a Quirk, something that was pretty rare in the small town I was born. Being Quirkless back home was normal. But that was only at home as anywhere else in the world it was rare to be Quirkless. Being Quirkless wasn't necessarily a good thing. That's because a Quirk is a power that a person can use.

I think the best way to explain it was through my little brother's favorite comic: Arachnid-man. It was a pretty old comic taking place in a Quirkless world, but he loved it as the hero was a normal guy until he was bit by a spider. That spider caused him to grow eight legs, and he could do anything a spider could do. That's how Quirks worked, except you didn't need an animal to bite you to get one, nor did you have to physically change. Usually, at the age of four, a child's Quirk would appear. A lot of people who had really cool Quirks, like having the ability to create fire or having super strength, could move on in becoming heroes.

Of course, I was the only one in my family to have a Quirk. That meant my family had to work mediocre jobs. It wasn't that they weren't capable of having a good job, but how can you be a doctor when some people had the quirk to heal or be a construction worker when you can literally sharpen and harden your arms to do the same job as huge machines can? Quirks gave people a huge advantage.

Not having one meant you just had to work harder.

I held my fist towards Sakura and gave her a small smile. "Don't show off too much in your group."

Sakura laughed. "Out of the two of us, it's your Quirk everyone should worry about. You're going to make it into U.A. for sure."

Her fist tapped mine before she ran towards her group for the exam. When she was far away, I felt my smile fade.

How was I going to tell her?

~*~*~*~

I looked up at the challenge that lied ahead of me. A huge wall was all that separated everyone else and me from the exam. Once that door opened, we would be expected to do our best in the exam to show everyone we were more than capable of being heroes.

The entry exam was simple. For every "villain" we took down, we would gained one, two, or three points, depending on the kind of "villain" we took down. The people with the most points would have a chance of getting into the school. This is all with the written exam playing a key role in it as well. A student has to do well on both.