Chapter 23

I sat down on the couch in front of the fireplace. My knees pressed together as my hands rubbed up and down my legs. Despite the fire blazing in front of me, I was still a bit cold.

After being shown that video, that man was called out for some reason. He left me in here, warning me not to even try to escape. I did, or at least, I tried. Just moments after I heard the footsteps leave, I tried twisting the doorknob open. It should've worked since the only way to lock this room was from the inside, but I was outsmarted. No matter how hard I tried to open that door, nothing happened.

Trying a few times made me realize what had happened. Goro used his Quirk to seal the door shut. I tried finding another way out, but there were no windows to sneak out of. The only thing that seemed to be able to find a way out of here was the spider I saw crawl from underneath a painting and into a small crack in the floor.

If only I was small enough to do the same. Instead, I just tried to make myself as comfortable as I could on that couch, wishing that the heat would be enough. It wasn't.

When the door swung open, I snapped my head back to see the long haired man walking back in. Only this time, he had a blanket in his hands that he gently placed on my shoulders before walking over to the fireplace. As cold as I was, I didn't wrap myself in the blanket. I might have been cold, but I didn't want any help from him or any of his minions.

All I wanted was to get out of here. I just wanted to go home.

The man didn't seem to mind as he leaned against the wall and pulled out a small box from the inside of his jacket. I watched as he opened it, pulling out a fresh new cigar, replaced the box with a lighter, and lit the flame below the cigar. As the flames danced under the thick brown stick, the man began his tale.

"By now, you must have many questions, but I'll start with the most obvious one. My name is Kannon Smith," he told me.

My eyes widened at the name. "Tha-that's impossible. You can't be—that's the name of—no. No! You're lying."

The man standing in front of me stuck the cigar into his mouth as he tucked the lighter into his pants' pockets. When he was done, he used his left hand to pull the cigar out of his mouth, puffing out a cloud of smoke.

"Afraid you're wrong on that one," he said.

"But, that man died months before I was born. He wasn't a villain. He was a—" I started to say, but I couldn't get the word out of my mouth.

I could never admit that my own father was a hero. This man, he wasn't him. He couldn't be. It was impossible. I looked up at him, noticing how different he looked. He was much taller than I was and had broad shoulders too. It was too dark to see the color of his eyes, but his green hair was nothing like the short blonde locks I had.

There was nothing I shared with this man. Sure, there were no pictures of the man, but I was certain he wasn't him.

He couldn't be, could he?

"A hero?" the man finished. "You can't even admit it because even you know, deep down, that's not true. At least, not after that day I was mistaken for dead, even when I confronted everyone. No, they wanted to give a chance to some newer heroes, especially since there was a story on how I had left my wife a widow and a child I had never met. They didn't care about the charities I've created or when I would spend my free time to read to some dumb kids who didn't care. They tried to forget about me, so I did one better. I erased all known records of me, replacing them with vague statements that if people were to do the research, they couldn't."

My head dropped at that comment. That would explain why Kaito and my project was nearly impossible. I already knew that going in, but seeing that he was the only deceased hero without information, something was off. I should've realized it sooner.