Chapter 25

By the time I woke up, I felt the sweat rolling down my arms. My hands grabbed the edge of the bed as I looked around, seeing the dolls had followed me once again. Only this time, they were lined up against the walls, looking lifeless.

Wait, my arms!

I looked down, pushing myself up into a seated position. I was no longer turned into a human meatball. I also didn't have rope tied around my legs. Pulling my arms closer, I realized there was nothing around my wrists either. My hands rubbed around my wrists to make sure. Nothing was there.

The only problem I had was that I was still in that pink frilly dress. That was new. Not new as in that was something I wasn't in, but after being kissed by Nightshade, I was never in that outfit. I was in the U.A. school uniform.

For once, I knew I was awake, but how long would it be until they came back for me? I pulled my legs into my chest as I wrapped my arms around them, laying my head on top. The last thing I wanted was to be told what to think. I didn't want to work for them. All I wanted was to be home with my family and friends.

They still wanted me, didn't they? Or was there a bit of truth in what Kannon said, that they wouldn't care, that they wouldn't look for me?

Kannon. My stomach sunk as I dug my head deeper into my knees, feeling the wet tears forming into my eyes. I had always known whoever my father was, he wasn't a good man. After all, he left my mom on her own to raise me just to be a hero. Or, at least, for some time, he was a hero. I just never thought he'd be a villain, an actual villain.

Did that mean there was some bad blood in me? Was that why I was so easily persuaded that all heroes were selfish? Was...was I going to turn evil some day?

My arms tightened around my legs as I let the tears roll down. My stomach ached as it could barely move, making breathing even harder. The room was so warm, getting hotter by the minute, cutting off all circulation. I opened my mouth to try and get more air, but it didn't seem to work.

Why? Why? What did I do to deserve this? I didn't want to end up like him, but what if...what if that's all I could do? What if I just ended up having bad blood that would consume me?

Ollie wouldn't want a sister who was evil. My friends would shun me if they knew I had an ounce of it. I-I couldn't believe it, but it made sense. That man, I was really a part of him, even if we looked nothing alike. Just why did this have to happen?

I sucked in as much air as I could, but it didn't work. I fell to my side, squeezing my eyes shut, only to see blood everywhere. My eyes shot open the moment they closed. No. I couldn't be the reason...I couldn't...I couldn't cause harm. I didn't want to cause harm.

But what if I did? What if the longer I stayed here, the more I would start to think like he did? There was no way out. With no way out, one of these days, I'd just turn into one of his puppets, just like Nightshade and Goro. I wanted to be good.

My hands balled up into fists as I rubbed my eyes, trying to stop the tears from coming, but they wouldn't stop. The tears flooded out of my eyes, dampening everything in its path. My stomach tightened with each tear that fell.

Why?

My thoughts were interrupted by a strange noise escaping my stomach. I bit the inside of my mouth as I started to realize how hungry I was getting. The last meal I had was at the Musutafu Hero Festival. It was a hard time telling how long ago that was.

I did my best to push myself to the edge of the bed. As I did, I felt my head spinning. My left hand grabbed onto the bed to steady myself, as I felt something running from my nose. There was nothing I could've cleaned it with, so I wiped my arm across my nose, feeling disgusted.