Status.

Five's P.O.V:

"SIX?!" I shout, slapping a hand over the other number's mouth, cutting off her blood-curdling shriek. "Shut up, okay? Chill!" I snap, still in shock at the scream.

"FIVE!!" I hear X call. "No worries, bud! It's just Six." I yell back. He breathes a hefty sigh of relief and his footsteps trail to where I'm crouched. "Oh god, Six..." X mutters offering his hand to pull her up. She takes it hesitantly and is brought to her feet.

"Ugh, Six, you scared the sh... crap out of me." Four glares at her through narrowed eyes, and she shrinks under his gaze nervously. "Ha...ha... s-sorry..." Six plastered an awkward smile on her face, blood rushing to her head. "Look, X, she's scared of me." Four looks away, ashamed. X tries to give a reassuring smile, but fails miserably, and instead clings to his arm. Four lets out a sharp grunt, but resists. I suppress a laugh.

"So let me get this straight," I stare at Six, "you saw a familiar turquoise house, entered, and saw book reports, stories, and books scattered all over the place with your name on them?" I repeat what she just recently told us as we huddled together, perching on the bare earth. X still held tightly onto Four's arm as if it was a teddy bear, while Six crossed hers over her chest protectively. My eyes darted between them all quickly in our small circle.

Six nodded helplessly at us.

"Same thing happened to me." Four spoke up, making X flinch with his unexpected loud voice. "The dark blue house. It has math sheets with my name on them everywhere the eye can see." He coughs afterwards as a warning for X to stop squeezing him. X squeaks and yanks his arms always quickly. "Sorry..." he mumbles under his breath. "It's fine, just not that hard." Four shrugs and offers his arm again. X takes it quietly, not wanting to draw any attention to himself despite everyone staring at him anyways.
I glance at Six, and she glances back skeptically. "This happens in like, every romance fanfiction I've ever read." She whispers to me, careful not to let Four and X hear. I smirk, switching between looking at Six and the two, and whisper back, "I'm, like, 100% sure they like each other." Six giggles a little and nods.

???'s P.O.V:

I glance over the cameras at the children. They either stick with each other, or stay alone in fear.

"Hand me my clipboard." I order to the variable on my right. "Yes, mother." They smile emotionlessly, and I smile back. They hand me the board without a second thought about it, and I thank them, reading over the status of each child.

Y: Alive
X: Alive
Nine: Deceased
Eight: Deceased
Seven: Deceased
Six: Alive
Five: Alive
Four: Alive
Three: Alive
Two: Alive

I do a double take on the last status mark.

One: Alive

Huh.

The other children are sure in for a treat.