Work Hard, Tickle Harder (Haikyuu!)

A/N;; Whoops, I started watching Haikyuu!! and now I'm both inspired to play volleyball and write fics. Enjoy!

"Really, Hinata? You're still here?"

Sunset was casting a dim orange glow through the windows of the Karasuno high school gym. The team had practiced for two hours after school, and Hinata had decided to stay behind to try some stuff on his own. He hadn't noticed the time passing by, so mesmerized by his practice, that when a voice startled the ringing silence only interrupted by the bouncing of a volleyball and leather hitting skin it made the blocker jump. 

Turning so fast he almost tripped, Hinata locked eyes with Kageyama, who was tossing a spare volleyball, probably thrown aside and forgotten by the ginger, up and down in one hand. His expression was impossible to read, but his eyes betrayed a flicker of surprise.

"I didn't think you'd be here this late," the setter said, catching the volleyball. "Daichi sent me to lock up. It's almost eight."

Hinata's eyes darted to the clock. It read 7:56pm. 

"I'm sorry!" He said, his voice high and guilty. "I didn't realize how late it was, I should have kept a watch on the time."

"Shut up," Kageyama said. "It's fine. And isn't it a little difficult to properly practice alone?"

Hinata was silent for a moment, then his eyes lit up.

"You'll practice with me??"

"Shut up! It's not that big of a deal!"

"Kageyamaaaaaaaaaaaaa-"

"Piss off!"

Hinata just laughed, and the dark-haired setter threw the volleyball at his head, which the ginger deftly caught with two hands.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hinata yawned. "One more throw."

Kageyama shook his head. "No, idiot, it's almost 8:30. You're exhausted."

"Come oooooon, please?"

"Begging isn't doing you any favours." But Kageyama picked up another ball and threw it up, sending a clean spike at Hinata. The ball made a whistling sound as time seemed to slow around it as it flew... then a quick, painful-sounding thud as it collided with Hinata's forehead. 

Hinata yelped and toppled straight onto the gym floor face-up, the volleyball bouncing quietly off into a corner.

"Shit." Kageyama trotted over to him and crouched down at his side, anger flaring in his dark eyes. "You're such an idiot. I told you it was a bad idea, and you still tried to take it! Are you stupid??" He prodded Hinata's side hard, hoping to induce a small, pained yelp and an apology.

Instead, the ginger let out a loud, quick cackle, which died on his lips almost instantly.

Kageyama was weirded out and most of all confused. "Dude, did you hurt yourself?" He gave Hinata a second poke, elicting the same reaction: a quick, high-pitched squawk of laughter that seemed to disappear almost milliseconds after it started.

"No!" Said Hinata, his face a brilliant shade of bright crimson. "It's not that, okay?"

"Then what the hell is it?" Demanded Kageyama, keeping up the prodding in a more repetitive manner. Hinata squirmed, making some kind of choked sound.