Chapter One

Ariel
After the whole incident, things went back to normal a little. My dad and Prince Eric formed a pact so that humans and merfolks could live together in peace.

My sisters spent three weeks in the human world and then took some of their culture down and some merfolks whose mates were humans either joined the ocean or lived on land.

Uriel was buried in the Corel reef where he had been telling me about and I was glad he was there where his spirit would be at peace. My father even built a statue in his honor and a memorial was held for him a day to his burial.

It's been two years since Uriel died and yes, I've been living in the human world. Eric finally got married and had twins, a girl and boy. Merlin and Melody who were barely a year. Eric was later coronated as King which I truly supported.

Well even though I stayed in the human world, I traveled around, living the simple life and helping people that I could help. I won't lie when if didn't say I wasn't lonely but I made my loneliness my strength as I went around protecting the weak under the authority of Eric.

I had settled in a far town for three months and decided it was time I returned but in a way I felt like something or someone was keeping me here.

"Uncle Ariel come and join us and play." Joseph, my neighbors seven years old child informed me as I looked at the cloud.

"No, I have to go to the market." I said as I smiled at him.

"Ahhh shucks. I really wanted to play." Joseph said as I bent and patted his head.

"Tell the village that everyone should be in their homes by evening. No one should be by the beach, there's gonna be a huge storm." I informed Joseph who looked at me then at the beach and nodded.

I know your all asking why my name is Ariel. I changed my name after I decided to live on land. I wanted to start my life again because going to the sea was painful knowing that Uriel was no more.

Evening time came and slowly signs of the storm started to show. I went to the beach because I sensed something was different about this one. It was like it was calling out to me. I was glad that the people listened to me and stayed home.

I stood by the rocks as I held the necklace my father made for me to change my form when I needed to. The wind grew stronger and stronger blowing through my now long hair packed in a ponytail.

The storm began as the rain fell heavily. I stood up when I saw something or someone in the ocean, floating lifelessly. I quickly took off my clothes and dived into the storm and then I imagined myself having tails and then I did.

I swam up close and then saw the stranger being played around like the ocean. I took hold of his hand and then I swam to the shores as quickly as I could.

When I got to the shores, I turned back to human and then I dragged the stranger to shelter. I went back for my clothes which were soaked not that I cared since I'm one with the ocean.

I sat down close to the stranger who had covered his face with a mask and so I took it off because the water would probably be entering his lungs. I gasped when I saw who the stranger was.

He looked just like... Just like Uriel. He had dark black hair, tan skinned, cheek bones and a well defense body. I closed my eyes and touched him and then I saw visions of who he was.

I couldn't hear voices in my vision but I was sure he wasn't Uriel. He was human from birth and was a bandit who was feared by all. He was betrayed by his men and was left in the ocean for dead.

I felt bad for him and a strange connection before I felt his forehead to see he was burning up. I looked outside the shelter to see the storm was calm and then I carried him to my house very late in the night.

I took off his wet clothes and changed him into new ones. I boiled some water as I set a damp cloth on his forehead. When the water boiled, I took some, put some medicine and supported his head to drink. To my luck his body was responding to my action even though he was unconscious.

I sighed in relief when his temperature went down. I studied his face to see that his resemblance to Uriel was strong except the fact that his skin was brighter and he was more humane. I laid my head on the bed as I sat down on the chair.

I hummed the melody of my mother's lullaby before I slowly closed my eyes to sleep.

I woke up the next morning and saw that the stranger was still sleeping. I was glad I went to the market and then started to make breakfast in hopes that the man would wake up. When I was done, I entered the room to see him up.

Just like Uriel, he had dark eyes that were actually a rare dark blue with a touch of black. He looked at me puzzled as I tried to remain calm constantly reminding myself he wasn't Uriel.

"Breakfast is ready. Leave afterwards." I informed him before I walked out of the room with my heart beating so fast.

Could he be? My mate? No, it's impossible, I'll never love someone again. I told myself as I walked to the dinning table.

I sat down and then waited for the man who joined me shortly. I didn't look up at him and just offered my hand for him to eat.

"You live by the sea yet you can't get a single meat." He complained as he scowled at me.

"Fishes are friends, I'm not like humans who would kill their comrade for satisfaction. Plus, being a vegetarian isn't as bad as it sounds." I responded before I continued my meal.

"That's weird coming from another human being. Do you eat land meat?" He asked as I gave him a glare.

"Maybe. Now eat your meal and leave." I responded then he smirked and then ate his meal.

When we were done, I cleaned up as he looked around my small house which clearly had no valuables since he was bandit. He turned to me and then sat rudely on the chair.

"What's your name Red?" He asked as I looked at him.

"Excuse me?" I said as I raised a brow.

"Name. I'm Zeke." He introduced.

"I want you to please leave."

"Eager to get rid of me. Did you save me?"

"No. I wouldn't dream of."

"Your lying little Red." He teased me with a smirk.

"I'm not little, I'm eighteen and I'm 5'8." I argued before I dragged him out of my house.

"Please leave." I said before I closed the door behind me.

I sighed in relief as I leaned on the door. If the fates were toying with my love for Uriel with a lookalike then I'd gladly pay them a painful visit.

I went to my room and brought out the box under my bed. I opened it to see my music box that had been remodeled by my mother.

I opened it and then an image of Uriel and I dancing appeared as the song began playing. I didn't notice that tears were flowing down my eyes till it dropped on my hands.

"I'm so sorry." I apologized for not being happy that I was missing my mate.

I dropped the box on the table leaving it to play before I laid on my bed and then dozed off.