bulletproof heart

~ (I got a) Bulletproof Heart ~
Bulletproof Heart - My Chemical Romance
***

The choice was obvious really. This was fate, destined to happen. As soon as I stop taking the pills, all those years ago. 5 years of being alone with no one to talk to can really take a toll on someone. I'm lucky I didn't go insane.

The safe option was to stay and continue as normal, pretending like there aren't two dead Dracs and a dead BLI worker in my house. Now that you think about it, maybe there is no easy option.

The two boys sitting opposite me, offering to take me away to god knows where and 'start a new life' was terrifying. This was my first social interaction with people that, like myself, didn't take the pills.

Unless this is just some crazy dream and I'm going to wake up in my bed down the hall with no dead bodies and no colourful Killjoys in my house. But the counter digging into my back was too real. The stale taste of coffee in my mouth was too real.

"Can you give me a minute to think?" I ask the boys. They nod and start to get up off the stools. I put my hand up to stop them "No, you can stay here. I just wanna go to my room for a minute."

They sit back down and as I walk away, I can feel their eyes burning into my back.

I close the door behind me and flop down on my bed. The radio was still playing softly from when I had hastily turned it down, 20 minutes before. I turn it back up not recognising the song playing.

I close my eyes and listen to the words. I don't think I've ever heard it before.

...Cause everybody knows you don't, ever wanna come back, let me be the one to save you...

They could be the ones to save me. Save me from this pointless, black and white life. I could run away with them, away from this shitty, city.

...Runaway, like it was yesterday

When we could run away...

Yeah OK. I get it stupid song. I get up off the bed and grab the still wet, green raygun out of the drawer.

I could become a Killjoy, right? That would be fun. Very irrational but things needed to change. This could be a good change, or I could die.

***

He knocked on my door when I was halfway through listening to yet another Green Day song.

"Come in."

Party opens the door and sits down on the stool I use for a desk chair. I was back laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling humming the words to Burnout.

He sighs through his nose and faces me, leaning against the desk.

"You listen to Dr D, I see. That's step one of being a Killjoy, you know." He seems a lot more relaxed after the two cups of coffee. He cocks his leg up on top of the other, folding his arms in front of him and assesses my room. "You're lucky the BLIs didn't make it in here. You'd be dead for sure. How do you get away with inspections?"

He's right. The walls are covered in spray paint, some intentional some not. That was courtesy of my Dad. He brought a whole bag home one day, warning me to be careful because the colours were illegal. I went crazy. I sprayed anything I could get away with, a lot of paper at first because I could easily burn it to dispose of it. But eventually, my walls, bookshelf and desk were covered. And that was a problem because of the inspections once a month. But I found a seemly endless supply of white house paint and a few days before every inspection I'd repaint everything until it was a boring white again.

It was an insane cycle. As soon as the inspection was over, the walls were covered again. I also had a neat little hiding place for my radio, CDs, and books since those were illegal as well. I had cut out a rectangle it the wall behind me bookshelf to stash them away whenever necessary.

"Wow. It is very overwhelming. I love it." he exclaims, his hazel eyes taking in the colourful graffiti of song lyrics, patterns and portraits. About 2 weeks' worth of loneliness and colour all over my room. I had run out of spray paint about a year ago, but I found some forgotten acrylic tubes and a few more tins of house paint that got me by.

"So" Party claps his hands, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Did you make a decision?" He raises his eyebrow at me.

I bite my lip, sighing and return my eyes to the plain white ceiling. I try to focus on the song that's playing on the radio, but my mind is so full of contradicting thoughts.

"Look, I don't wanna rush you, but we have already been here too long. It's only a matter of time before BLI gets word of the incident and sends Dracs to come to kill us all. The way I see it, you don't have much of a choice. If you stay here, you will be caught and exterminated for possessing illegal goods." He gestures to my colourful room.

Hurried footsteps come from down the hall. Fun Ghoul is at the doorway looking flustered. "Draculoids. Hurry." he starts to turn around back down the hallway but stops. "Car is right out front. Nice room by the way." He turns and runs off.