killing ourselves by sleeping in

~ (we'd be) Killing Ourselves By Sleeping In. ~
Party Poison - My Chemical Romance
***

The next morning, I wake to the sound of whispering and light footsteps like someone is trying to be quiet. Well, as quiet as they can be, they didn't do too well.

I slept surprisingly well for someone who ran away from home and stayed their first night in a post-apocalyptic diner in the middle of the desert.

I stretch out much stuff limbs as much as I can on the small, two-seater couch. There's a loud 'shhh' from a booth across the diner like someone saw me stir. I poke my head up above the back of the couch and look out at the room. From my point of view, the counter is directly opposite the makeshift living room I'm in. Old-fashioned bar stools are lined up at the counter, their torn red leather exposing the foam beneath. The counter itself was covered in rubbish and what looked to be pencils, paints, sketch books and papers.

The noise came from the second booth from me and is occupied by three Killjoys. Party Poison, Fun Ghoul and Jet Star. Party and Ghoul are staring in my direction. The black-haired Killjoy smiles, "Ahh... look who decided to wake up this week."

I roll my eyes and throw the blankets off me. It may be cold at night but the days here were hot and I was already starting to sweat. I hear some shuffling and then the three boys are in the living room with me, Ghoul sitting beside me on the couch and Party plopping down beside him, practically on the other boy's lap.

"Did you sleep well?" Jet asks from the armchair.

I nod. All of the boy's attention was on me and frankly it was terrifying. I felt pathetic, still in my clothes from yesterday, my messy bed hair and dark, emo circles under my eyes from sleep. I want to hide my face behind my hands, but their attention was diverted from me when Killer Sunshine rushes into the room with a squealing girl on her back.

Party and Ghoul laugh but Jet scowls at them doing as best he could with an eye patch covering one eye. "Hey, you're gonna wake up Dr D."

"Calm down, Mum." Sunshine comes around and sits in the lazy boy, squashing Missile underneath her causing the small girl to squeal again.

Jet gives her an unimpressed look, but she sticks her tongue out which causes him to crack a small smile.

Kobra Kid walks in next as sits on the floor in front of the couch, legs crossed facing us. He wears the same clothes as yesterday. A red motorcycle jacket that has black stripe down his arm with the number 13 on the bicep. A Cobra, flaring up and open mouthed, is embroidered on the chest of the jacket. Underneath he wears a yellow and black patterned shirt and black skinny jeans. His dyed blonde hair fell over his face in a messy but extremely sexy way. And even though we are inside, he's still wearing his black, RayBan sunglasses.

Kobra has a weird vibe. He was hard to read under those black sunglasses but it's sorta like I-don't-give-a-fuck-about-any-of-you-motherfuckers, with a hint of please-leave-me-alone. The only time he has smiled in the 20 hours I've known him was in the car when we were jamming to Guns'n'Roses. But that's the thing about music, it makes you feel even when you don't want to feel anything.

"So," Party starts, looking at me, "Dr D will be up soon, the radio broadcast starting at 10am. He'll do his daily updates, play his top 20 of the day and then he'll be ready to meet you. Shouldn't be more than 2 hours. "

I nod in response. I remember his updates from home. Listening in like any other Killjoy would, except I wasn't one. I tried to understand what they were talking about, "Zone 4", "ghosted", "motor babies". It never really made sense to me until now. Until I was forced out here by the 4 not-so-strange strangers around me.

"Do you want breakfast?" Jet asks me, giving me a concerned mother type look. I nod again and he gets up and disappears behind the diner counter.

"So, Little- uh I mean Gen," Sunshine gives me an apologetic smile but I shrug, and she continues. "I mean this in the nicest possible way... we need to get you some new clothes." I look over at the boys and they're all nodding in response. I look down at myself. I'm still wearing the grey hoodie I threw over myself yesterday and white leggings with a few, stray, paint splatters. My white joggers sit on the floor from where I took them off last night.

I look back up at Sunshine. "What did you have in mind?"

She beams and looks at Party with puppy dog eyes.

Party sighs. "Sunshine it's a whole day's drive. And we'd be leaving the diner defenceless."

"It won't be defenceless; Dr D will be here and Missile."

The girl's mouth fell open at the sound of her name and she turned around to look at Sunshine whom she was still sitting on. "I want to come!" the girl whined.

Go where? I think to myself. That's when Jet appears again carrying a tray full of what looks like tin cans and a handful of forks. He passes them out and I stare down at the can in my hands. BL/Inds Power Pup. Dog food.

I look up and Kobra chuckles without a smile, "After about 5 you'll get used to the taste." I smile awkwardly.

Jet opens his can and the familiar smell fills the room bringing back memories of before the bombs when I had the responsibility of feeding our family Labrador, Belle. I push the memory away not wanting to think about the past.

"Sorry Gen, we used up the last of the beans and spaghetti last night. This is all we have left until someone raids the city." Jets apologises before stabbing the loaf with his fork and scooping some out. I nod trying to look understanding.

I don't want to look like a pansy so I open the can via the pull at the top and dig out a chunk of loaf. I look at it for a good thirty seconds before saying fuck it and shoving it in my mouth.

To put it lightly, it tastes like stale, warm meat that had been sitting out of the fridge too long. I chew it as little as possible and swallow quickly. I look up from the can to see the 6 Killjoys looking back at me with expressions of amusement.

Usually, staring eyes makes me shrink into a hole of insecurity, but the 6 people in front of me made me feel comfortable now. There wasn't judgement in their faces but friendly amusement as if they had known me for 12 years. They felt like friends. It's hard to judge what friends feels like when you've been without them for almost 8 years, and there's a chance I could be jumping the gun and they were really just plotting my murder. But nethertheless I felt surprisingly comfortable.

"It tastes like ass." I say pulling a face.

"And how do you know what ass tastes like?" Party raises his eyebrows.

"I don't I'm just guessing."

Ghoul laughed. "It tastes nothing like ass, trust me." he gives Party a sideways glance, smirking. Party elbows him in the ribs, rolling his eyes.

Kobra groans. "I don't need to hear about you fucking my brother. These walls are thin, I already hear enough."

I look over at Jet and he's pinching the bridge of his nose eyes squeezed shut. Sunshine has her hands covering Missile's ears, the small girl in her lap smiling, continuing to eat her dog food without a care.

***

a/n - i just wanted to let whoever is reading this shitty wattpad danger days fan fiction that it's 2019. we got them back. and i dedicate this whole story to my chemical romance, all the fans that waited 6 long years and the new fans that discovered them in their absence...