face all the pain and take it on

~ Face All The Pain And Take It On ~
The Only Hope For Me Is You - My Chemical Romance

***

The look on his face breaks my heart. Utter disbelief and infinite sadness.

"No..." he whispers. His brown eyes go glassy with tears. "No... no, no nononono... NO." He breaks, snaps in two... shatters. Tears spill over, flooding his face as he stands there staring at her body wrapped in the flowery, orange bedsheet.

I unintentionally let out a dry sob. The pain in my chest is so intense, it feels like I was the one that got shot. I step forward closing this distance between us and wrap my arms around his middle. He accepts the hug burying his face in my neck. I start to cry again.

A body crashes into us wrapping their arms around us both. Another does the same, then another until we were in a giant group hug, tears running down our dirty faces.

"You're back!" Missile's voice makes me jumps and we break apart. "Why are you crying? Where's Sunny?" She tries to peer around us, looking for the other girl but she wasn't going to find her.

Party walks over to the girl and envelopes her in a hug. "Why are you crying? Where's Sunshine?" She repeats. A look of realisation comes over her faces as Party hugs her tighter and she starts to cry, burying her face in his shoulder.

***

We sit in silence. The tears had stopped leaving streaks down our faces, but the reality of the situation settled around the room like a wet blanket. Jet had turned the radio on to fill the silence and Dr Death Defying announced her passing then paid tribute by playing her favourite song. Take a Chance on Me by ABBA.

We listened to the broadcast for over an hour.

"Alright motor babies, she's getting hot out there. Be sure to keep your gun close and your mask on 'cause those Crows won't hesitate to pick your eyes out. This is Dr Death Defying, signing off."

The broadcast ends and the Foo Fighters starts playing. Party suddenly gets up off the couch and goes outside to the car. I look at Ghoul, silently asking if he knew what he was doing. He looked just as confused as me. Until Party came back inside carrying a duffle bag. It made a clinking noise like there are bottles inside and that's when I realised.

Party places that bag on the counter and pulls out a glass bottle of amber liquid. He doesn't say anything as he uses the muzzle of his raygun to open the bottle. He skulls over half the bottle in one breath.

Next he pulls out a larger bottle filled with a clear liquid. It looks like water, but I know better. Vodka. He takes a swig.

Ghoul gets up off the couch. "You're not drinking alone." He takes the bottle off Party and has a sip. He throws his head back and scrunches up his face. "Woah. Long time, no drink."

He holds out the bottle to me and I take it without thinking. I've never had alcohol before, but I've heard it takes the pain away. I need this to make the pain in my chest to go away, and it is worth a try.

It burns. My throat is on fire. I try to act normal and hold in the urge to cough that rises in the back my throat.

Kobra looks at me, concerned. I don't think he expected me to drink straight vodka without hesitation like that.

Party passes a beer to Jet and a can of soda to Missile. Her face lights up as she pops the tab and drinks.

Star turns the radio up louder. David Bowie blasts through the speakers, his classic, Let's Dance.