Chapter Six: Abby's POV

Friday: Day 3

"If we all did things we were capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."

                     -Anonymous

“I need to go back home,” I tell Alicia, hitting my knees with my baseball bat.

“We’ll go with you, me and my brothers,” she says, standing up. 

I stand up slowly. “What about your dad?”

She looks down and then avoids my eyes while she says, “We don’t know where he is.”

That’s all it took. I didn’t say anything further, I just nodded and let her lead the way out of her bedroom.

“We’re all going back to Abby’s, who’s driving?” Alicia speaks up, getting her brothers’ attention.

“Not me,” Josh pipes in quickly, getting up from his spot on the couch. 

Jake groans and nods, motioning everyone toward the door.

“Let’s get going, then,” he says.

Alicia and I pile into the back seat of her brother’s car while Jake gets into the driver’s seat and Josh takes the passenger’s. 

~*~ 

“Guys!” I yell. “I brought Alicia and her brothers!”

I hear talking and mumbling and then footsteps coming up the basement stairs.

“Alicia!” Karlee yells, running and hugging my best friend.

“You’re still alive, impressive Karlee,” Alicia says with a smirk while nodding and giving her a thumbs up.

“Oh Alicia, I’m so glad you’re okay!” my mom exhales with relief and hugs Alicia.

My dad nods in agreement, patting Alicia on the back.

After a few moments of silence, Jake speaks up. “Now what?”

Alicia glances at me nervously before saying, “I think Abby and I should go and check the school for any kids that might have survived or are hurt.”

“Uh, not by yourself,” Josh says incredulously.

“You should all stay here, the more of you there are, the better.”

“Which is why you two can’t go alone!” my mom exclaims, worry plastered onto her face.

“Mom,” I hiss, shaking my head. Now she cares about what I do? Now she cares, now that I might actually die.

“We’re going before it’s too late,” Alicia finally says, grabbing my wrist and pulling me out the front door.

“No! Abby!” Karlee cries and screams. “Alicia!”

As we kept walking, I waited for one of them to run out and stop us, or join us. But no one did. Clearly my mom didn’t care as much as she was putting off.

“I wonder if Mackenzie is okay,”Alicia says, almost snorting.

I couldn’t help but laugh. We had always joked about hiring our friend Mackenzie to beat people up for us, even though she was probably one of the least violent people you’d ever meet.

“I wonder if Devon is okay,” I mumble too quietly for her to hear. Was he alive? If he was, where was he? I couldn’t picture him as the type that could whip out a gun and blow off some zombie’s head, but if he needed to do it in order to survive I’m sure he wouldn’t hesitate.