Chapter Eleven: Alicia's POV

Sunday: Day 5

 "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

                          -English Proverb

In this world only the fittest survive. God makes his choice on who's best and then the others rot and disappear. One by one each person will be bested by another and so they themselves.. die.

I bit my lip as everything grew silent and bodies lie on the floor. Four whom were  already dead.. but one who's heart was still beating a minute ago. Devon and I stood there quietly while Abby's Father knelt to the floor next to his wife who was dead.

I knew from the beginning that the weak would die off now that this war had started. No sign of weakness can be shown or else they will destroy you. 

I swallowed my urge to shout and scream and stood there staring at the floor with my bat dangling from my hand until I heard more groans and looked up quickly. There were a group of them coming straight for us. 

I panicked. The door had been practically torn off, it was useless. 

"We have to get downstairs, there are more coming," I pushed my voice out and headed towards the basement.

As I turned the corner I saw Abby staring at the floor where a puddle of puke was. I tightened my grip on the bat and pulled Abby up.

"Lets go," I said quietly.

I stepped down the first couple stairs and realized Karlee was staring straight at me with hope showing in her eyes. She thought it was all okay now.

I averted my eyes from hers and continued walking down the stairs. Nothing seemed right, like I was going to wake up and realize it was all just a dream. 

Everyone followed behind me, Abby's Father shut the door behind him silently and made sure it was locked before he started putting things against it for extra support.

"Where's Mum?" Karlee questioned.

"Karlee.." Abby said silently. 

Karlee looked at Abby with wide eyes. 

"Where's Mum!" She asked louder.

"Karlee! Be quiet," Her Father snapped.

Her lips shook as she tried to say something else but couldn't. Her eyes welled up with tears and we all knew she understood where her mother was. It was a fact, not a dream or an illusion, just fact.

~ * ~

We all sat in Abby's room for who knows how long. No one had spoken a word about what happened and I was sure that know one would for awhile. 

I sat there pulling on the rug wondering why this was all happening, what was the cause, and if there was a way to stop it. Then I got an idea.

"We should get more weapons," I suggested to everone.

"Shut up, all you think about is fighting. What about us! What if we don't want to!" Karlee shouted. 

"We have no choice, Karlee! We can't stay down here forever, realize that!" I shouted back.

Sitting here and doing nothing was absolutely ensure our death. 

"She's right.." Abby's Dad said as he stood up. 

Karlee looked at him like he was psycho.

"And plus, we should go to Bi-Wise while things are on sale," he joked while managing a smile.

"I was thinking we go to the police station in town and see if they have any guns or anything we could use," I said as I stood up. 

"How are we going to get there? You and I have done it a lot of times, Alicia, it's not a short distance," Abby included herself.

"Umm.. well we should split into two groups first. One goes to Bi-Wise while the other to the police station, right?" Devon suggested.

We all nodded in agreement, "I also have a theory to test. I had been thinking about it for awhile now.. I think that these things are blind and rely on sound," I said.

"Why would you think that?" Abby questioned.

"Well it's obvious if you think about it. The only times we have been attacked by them is when there was noise.. just liked the last time.. it was our laughter," I replied.

"..Well what about smell?" Abby's Dad asked.

"I don't think so.. if they did then they would be surrounding the house at all times. We would all already be dead by now," I said as I thought more about it, "we should test it out."

"Yeah and who are you going to sacrifice next, huh?" Karlee said angrily.

"Karl--" Abby began.

"I'll go," Devon offered.

"Ah, wait, I was going to test it out myself.. I'm the one that thought of it afterall.." I said.

"No.. I haven't really done anything.. and besides, my family is already.. um.. so I decided that I will go. There's no changing my mind," He replied. 

I gave up. He had a look of determination in his eyes.. like he really wanted to do this.

I didn't bother looking at Abby, I already know she would be petrified right now. There's a chance she might lose someone she really holds dear and admires.

There was nothing I could do.

"Alright well.. take your shoes off, you make less sound with bare feet. Everyone should take them off actually. It's either we escape today or we die today," I said as I start taking off my sneakers.

Everyone else did so as well. 

I had no doubt in my mind that this would work. There were so many signs saying that those things were blind and couldn't smell, why else wouldn't they attack us?

"Alright.. I'm going up," Devon said as he walked out of Abby's room and into the basement area.

"Goodluck," Abby whispered. 

I glanced at her quickly and back to Devon who was walking up the stairs. For Abby.. I truly hoped my theory wasn't wrong.