22

Van and I decide that we're ready to leave shortly after he sang for me. I'm glad he didn't mention me promising to sing him a song. I could never do that in front of so many people. I couldn't even do it in front of one person.

Van paid for the whole meal, even though I insisted on at least paying my part. "I'm buying on our next date," I say, giving in to his persistence. He wouldn't even let me see the check.

"Whatever," he shrugs. "Let's get outta here. I wanna take you somewhere." He puts some cash on the table and stands up in front of me, holding out his hand for me to take, which I do.

"You just took me somewhere," I giggle.

"I know, but it's not even that dark yet. What kinda first date ends before 9:00?" He says, taking his phone out and checking the time.

"A bad one," I say.

"Exactly. And I will not be known for my bad dates. I refuse," he says, smiling down at me. We walk outside the restaurant and into the crowded sidewalks of Los Angeles.

"That makes sense. Then you better have something good in mind. I have high standards," I say.

"Well, I have a good idea," Van says back. "Come on, lets go this way." He starts walking to the left, away from the bus station, while still holding my hand.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"Do you have to know everything?" Van jokes around with me.

"Yes," I say. "I don't like surprises."

"Hmm, well, you're just going to have to deal with it, I guess," he says, giving my hand a squeeze and rubbing his thumb over my own.

"Fine. I guess I'll have to tell everyone how horrible your dates are," I mumble, trying to get him to tell me.

I hear him chuckle. "Alright, alright," he gives in. "I'm taking you there." He points to a beach.

"The beach?" I ask, excited.

"The boardwalk," he smiles. "I'll save the each for another day when it's still daytime."

I nod my head. "I've never been to a boardwalk before. There's basically no beaches in Maine," I tell him.

"Well, I can fix that," he says. "I didn't have many beaches back in England either. But I've been here before."

We walk together to the entrance of the boardwalk. "Where to first?" He asks. We stop walking and he waits for me to answer.

I look around at what's near us. "Let's go get ice cream," I say, my eyes drawn to the bright shop with a large, glowing sign that said "Ice Cream."

"I was hoping you'd say something like that. I haven't had ice cream in ages," he says.

We walk over the the ice cream stand and wait in line. It wasn't too long, but we still had plenty of time to choose a flavor. "Which flavor should I get?" I ask Van. "Chocolate or vanilla?"

"Chocolate or vanilla?" Van questions me, looking surprised. I notice his eyebrows were raised.

"Yeah," I giggle at his silly facial expression. "What's wrong?"

"Look at all those flavors, Peyton. You can't be telling me you want to get chocolate or vanilla when you can get anything else on the menu," he says. "There's gotta be at least 50 flavors up there."

"But I like chocolate and vanilla. What if I get a new flavor and I hate it?" I say.

"Well, then I'll buy you a new one," Van says. "I'll buy you every flavor if I have to."

"Then, you choose a flavor for me. I want a surprise," I say. "And, please, don't make it boring," I add in an overdramatic voice.

"Alright then. As you wish," Van says. "I got an idea."

Van and I eventually make it to the front of the line. "Hi, what can I get you?" The boy working behind the counter asks. He looked to be about fifteen or sixteen years old and didn't speak very enthusiastically. He clearly did not want to be here.

"We'll take an extra large Oreo milkshake with whipped cream and sprinkles," Van says to the boy. "Oh, and two straws."

"Okay," the boy says. He turns away and starts preparing our dessert.

I look at Van and laugh. "A milkshake?"

He smiles. "Of course. You told me you wanted a surprise, so I'm giving you one," he says.

"Well, this better taste good," I say. "I'm paying and I don't want to buy another milkshake if Oreo ends up being terrible."

"It's okay, I'm buying, so you don't have to worry about it," Van says. He grabs his wallet from his pocket, so I grab my cash from the back of my phone case.

"No, Van. It's my turn," I pout. "You bought dinner."

The boy returns with our milkshake and I push Van's hand down as he tries to hand his money to the worker and use my five dollar bill instead.

The boy takes it and Van grabs the milkshake. "Thank you," he says to the boy who nods his head, still lacking any emotion. Van and I walk off and we stop at a bench which was close to the ice cream shop and had a view of the ocean.

"What was that?" Van jokes around. I grin and shrug my shoulders.

Van puts the milkshake down on the table in front of us. He pulls me closer to him and lifts me onto his lap. He slowly brings our heads closer together, letting our foreheads rest against each other.

His lips press against mine and I kiss him back, out lips moving together. "I'm gonna have to teach you a lesson when we get back, aren't I?" Van ask in between kisses.