Chapter 23: No regrets

POV Albus

I walk through St James Park and a lot of memories are popping up in my throat. We were happy in this neighborhood. A normal family. Before Hogwarts.

Some gleaming buildings, others abandoned, and my steps that lead me to the river. Men in suits pass by in a hurry. Big Ben on the horizon. Today I live in Camden, far away from here.

I hesitated a lot to come. Often grabbed the phone to cancel. But the fear of hearing you pick up kept me. Back off to better blow up.

So I'm here, in front of my house. In front of you, rather. I'm looking for your name on the doorbell and my heart jogs when I read "Malfoy" exactly where "Potter" was written. The same floor as us. The same apartment, so.

I hesitate. I want to run away.

An old lady comes out of the building, with a dog, and gives me a suspicious look. Mrs. Smith. I recognized it. Not her. I changed in 10 years.

I advance in the entrance and the smell makes me smile. Always the same. Indefinable. A detergent? The smell of plastic plants?

I get out of the elevator and I have to be about as white as the tiles.

I ring.

The door opens, Rupert smiles at me:

- Enter ... You are punctual.

I grimace ... for once I'm not late. But it's not a ceremony today. I handed him the bottle I brought.

- Thank you ... it was not necessary.

I advance in the entrance and I do not recognize anything. Our family apartment has become a kind of New Tech airport hall, stripped and chic. Even the smells are different. I do not recognize anything. Everything is familiar and strange at the same time.

"Scorpius is not here yet," Rupert told me with an embarrassed smile. But it will not be long ... I think.

Well then.

Suddenly I feel relieved. With a little luck, you'll forget to go home.

- Maybe we could go see the apartment right now, before it gets dark, Rupert offers cordially.

- Of course...

Maybe on the way back I can slip away ...

We stand out and observe our shadows in the reflections of ultramodern glass buildings. I'm walking with your lover in my old neighborhood. Your sense of humor?

- It's not very far, it's in Pimlico ... you want to walk or we take the subway?

- We could not Apparate?

- Yes, of course ... Let's go.

The neighborhood is pretty. We enter an old building, all in height. He kindly talks to me about the neighborhood and the building, but I do not listen to him.

The duplex is large, bright, with wooden slats and a beautiful view of the Thames. I imagine you in this setting. I go to the window, knowing that you have watched the same show. Have you seen the sun set on this square? Have you heard the cries of children coming out of school?

I have to pretend to be interested in the conversation:

- How many do you want ?

- Oh ... I do not know exactly ... 900 pounds?

- Per month ?

- Yes. It's too much ?

- It's a nice sum ...