CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

*rewind to high school*

I was late. I was screwed. I was hungry.

'This is what you get for sleeping in.' Abby's message read as I made my way into school.

I rolled my eyes before stopping at my locker, only Abby would be the kind of friend to not call and wake me up.

After grabbing my three textbooks, I ran towards the stairs, knowing very well that I'd be getting detention from Mr. Rogers.

Maybe if I was paying attention to where I was going, I'd never bump into the one and only, Christopher Bang.

"Shit, are you okay?" he questioned, leaning down as he helped me stand back onto my own feet.

If I was being honest, no. I was so not okay.

"Oh umm, yes. I'm okay. Sorry for bumping into you," I mumbled, trying to avoid all eye contact with him.

"You're Bethany, right?"

He knew me? He knew I existed?

"You k-know me?"

"Well not you but your parents," he chuckled as he ran his hands through his hair.

"Right," I chuckled awkwardly as I shifted nervously, "I should get going."

"Oh yeah, go ahead. I know how strict Mr. Rogers can be," he laughed as he began walking down the stairs.

"Hey Chris?" I called out, tilting my head slightly as he turned back to me, "how do you know I have Mr. Rogers class?"

Chris stayed silent for a while before shrugging, "don't all the sophomores have Mr. Rogers?"

"Right," I nodded, feeling embarrassed before heading back up the stairs.

Did I have a crush on Christopher Bang?

**

"Wait, he actually talked to you?" Abby gasped as she stared at me in shock.

"It was only for like a minute," I shrugged, looking down at my food.

"Holy shit, this is huge!"

"What is?" Martin questioned as he joined our lunch table, followed closely by James.

"Christopher Bang knows who Bethany is," Abby replied, taking his carrots away.

"Really?" James asked as he sat beside me.

"No, he knows who my parents are, not me."

"That's the same thing!" Abby told me as she looked over at Chris's lunch table.

"It's not," I tried arguing but was stopped as a certain someone walked towards us.

"Is he really coming here?" James asked.

"Oh damn, he's staring at Bethany."

"Bethany, act cool."

"Hey," Chris smiled as he stood in front of our table, not once paying attention to everyone that stared at us.

"Hi," Abby greeted, nudging me slightly.

"Hi," I mumbled, feeling my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

"Are you going to the party tonight?" he asked smiling, causing his dimples to appear.

"Party?"

"Yeah, you know, the fundraiser they hold every year," he replied, nodding to one of his friends that approached him.

"Oh umm, yeah I'm going," I replied but was drowned out as all his friends walked over.

"Yo Chris, let's go, coach is waiting for us."

But Chris paid no attention as he watched me intently.

"Well then, I guess I'll be seeing you there." And with one final smile, he walked away, sending me a wink before exiting the cafeteria.

"Did Christopher Bang just flirt with you?"

"I have no idea," I replied, feeling nervous at the fact that not only had Chris willingly spoken to me but he'd be attending the fundraiser tonight, "shit! I don't have a dress yet!"

**

"This is the dress!" Abby squealed as she watched me from the mirror.

"I don't know, isn't it too much?"

"It's a fancy fundraiser Beth, everyone dresses over the top."

I admired the baby pink dress and couldn't help but admit that this was most definitely the prettiest dress I'd ever seen. The off the shoulder straps adding a nice contrast to the usual plain dress.

"You're right," I smiled, "I'll take it."

^^

Shortest chapter ever written in the whole universe!