Ready

The following evening, I understand what he meant about the pain Emmett felt. I'm laying in bed when it comes, and it makes me cry out and curl up.

Emmett rushes in, coming over to me.

"Rory? Oh, god. You didn't, um, drink the wine?"

I nod. "Yeah, I did. But David drank some first. I don't understand."

Anger flashes across his features. "Let's go."

Silently, I follow him out into the dark night. He unlocks his car, and I climb into the passenger seat. He gets in and slams the door.

Emmett doesn't get mad often. However, I've never, ever seen him angry enough to stay silent. And all over some wine?

By the time he's pulled up outside of the cave, the pain in my abdomen has stopped. He looks at me.

"I can't believe this." He shakes his head and looks back out the windshield.

"What?" I ask.

He doesn't answer me.

"Come on."

I don't say a word. I just get out of the car and shut the door. We meet in front of the car, and he walks quickly towards the cave. I follow silently. What would I say, anyway?

I can hear noise when I enter. It definitely sounds like they're having fun. Emmett leads me to the main area of the cave, the section where I drank the wine.

The five boys and two girls are sitting around laughing when we come in. Laddie is in a corner, drawing or something.

"You gave it to Aurora?" Emmett snaps, demanding everyone's attention.

My throat starts to burn then. My hand flies to it, trying to soothe it from the outside.

"Yeah. So?" Paul shrugs.

"So!?" Emmett growls.

David stands up.

"Why'd you even go home? Thought you liked it here, Emmett."

Emmett sighs. "I do. I went back to get some clothes and things."

I look around.

"Guys, what's going on?" I question.

David and Dwayne look at me, grinning.

"Has it happened yet?" Raven questions. She moves over to us, looking at Emmett. He's angry, but he still takes her in his arms. She rests against his side.

"Has what happened yet? The excruciating abdominal pain?" I question.

She nods. "That would be it."

Smiling, she turns to the rest of the people.

"It's time, boys."

Star stands up. "Come on, Laddie."

Scoffing, she shoves past us and leaves. Huh. I wonder what's gotten into her. Last time we met, she was so sweet.

"Don't worry about it," Paul says as I stare after Star.

I try to smile at him.

"Does she hate me or something?" I ask him.

He shakes his head.

"Nah, she doesn't hate you. She always gets like that when we're doing initiation for new members," he tells me.

"Oh."

David comes over. Following is Marco, Michael, and Dwayne. All of them are grinning.

"Alright, Aurora. Looks like your initiation came early. Are you ready?"

I nod.

"Yes. I've been waiting days for the answers."

David chuckles, resting an arm on my shoulder.

"Let's go get it over with, then."