More & Less Answers

"Um, Aurora?" My dad calls.

I leave my room and go into the living room.

"Yeah?"

"Someone's at the door for you."

I frown and walk over. There David stands, a serious look on his face.

"Hey, David," I say.

He smiles. It doesn't meet his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

He looks around. "I need you to come with me. Don't ask questions."

I look at my dad. He's focused on some sporting event on TV.

"I'll be back, okay, dad?" I say as I slip on some shoes.

He nods, hardly listening. I follow David outside. Of course, he leads me to his motorcycle.

It's starting to feel routine. I sit and wrap my arms around him. Soon, the wind is blowing my hair everywhere. He stops again outside the cave he took me to last night, and we go in.

"Sit down," he says.

I'm not sure where everyone else is, and I don't ask.

"What's wrong?" I question as he sits across from me.

He sighs.

"I'm not supposed to tell you anything at all, but I'm not making you go through this alone."

I frown. "What?"

"I can't tell you everything. But there are going to be some... changes."

"What?"

He thinks about his words. As he's about to talk, it feels like I'm pulled from the chair. Only nothing is there. I grip the sides of it, curling up in the chair.

"That'll happen for a few minutes. Hold these," he says.

I take the thick stack of books from his hands and set them in my lap. They're heavy, which I assume is the point.

"What the hell is going on?" I demand.

He hesitates.

"Don't worry. We all had to go through it."

"That doesn't make me feel any better, David."

He looks at his hands.

"I know, Rory, but I don't know what else to say. Within the next couple of days, you'll feel the same pain Emmett felt. It should go away quick. No more than ten minutes."

I shake my head.

"Tell me what is going on."

He pulls his bottom lip between his teeth.

"I can't. Not yet."

I roll my eyes. "Why the hell not?"

"For... reasons."

"Wow," I say, "good one. I can tell you really put a lot of thought and emotion into that answer."

He groans, hiding his face in his hands.

"Aurora, I literally can't. Not until everything is complete. Well, almost complete. It should take no more than three days."

I shake my head. "I want to know now. Hayden's birthday is in three days. I'll be busy."

He stays quiet. It's obvious he won't tell me anything, so I try to find another possible way for him to let it slip.

"Where's everyone else?" I question.

He looks up at me again.

"Who knows where Star and Laddie are? The rest are out with Emmett."

I nod. "Sounds fun. Out where?"

He hesitates, then grins. "Initiation."

"Initiation?" I ask, wanting more details.

He nods. "Don't worry, you'll get yours soon."