Chapter Twenty Eight

The red Ferrari rolled up to the curb of the party. The coloured lights from inside the house sending glistening sparkles over the exterior of the car.

With a pop Azrael opened his door, stepping out of the car. The group of party-goers that stood in the front yard all turned to look at him, gawking and whispering between each other. Some girls that stood on the porch eyed him with interest, the bottom lip of the boys standing beside them dropping open in awe at his ride.

Azrael closed the door, his lips curling into a smirk as he began around it and strode to the passenger door.

Avery sat, her eyes fixed on her hands as she heard the thumping music and chattering of people get louder when Azrael opened her door. Her lower lip caught between her teeth anxiously and she glanced up at the dark-haired demon who looked perfectly in his element.

Azrael's grin faded into a smile when he saw the nervous expression on the blonde's face and he leant forward to whisper to her, "Don't be nervous".

Avery swallowed, her hands clenching into fists as Azrael stepped back and extended an open hand for her. Avery turned in the seat, planting her feet on the soft soil before taking Azrael's hand and stepping out of the car.

The boys were previously staring at the shimmering red car turned their heads as Avery stepped out from behind the door. Their bottom lips had only dropped further at the sight of her.

Avery wore a gorgeous golden dress glittered with stones and sequins that sparkled as she moved. The fabric hugged her waist, exposing the figure that had been hiding behind ill-fitting jumpers and jeans.

Her hair had been pinned up in a mess of curls, some stray strands hanging against her blushed cheeks. The smoky eye-shadow that Sadie had picked out made her blue eyes appear like sapphires as light reflected against them and her lips were a bright red matching the car behind her.

Avery's cheeks quickly brightened as she looked around at all of onlookers that couldn't take their eyes off her and she began to turn away only to be stopped by Azrael who wrapped an arm around her waist.

Azrael scanned the crowd with a grin as he leaned to her ear, his voice charming and low, "You look breathtaking, don't hide".

At this Avery felt a flutter in her chest as her heart skipped a beat once again. She glanced up at Azrael and followed his eyes to the front door where a familiar brunette pushed her way to the front.

The moment that Paige had set her eyes on Avery her jaw dropped, her eyes staring Avery up and down with shock.

Avery felt Azrael's fingers press against her waist, and she squirmed ever so slightly at the foreign touch.

"Ready to go in?" Azrael asks, glancing down to the mortal who had gone bright red. Avery takes a deep breath and nods, putting on a confident expression as they began towards the door.

Paige couldn't pick her jaw up from the floor as the girl in gold passed her. For a moment the brunette thought that her enemy looked better than her, but she quickly dismissed the thought.

Paige wore a figure hugging strapless green dress with a sweetheart neckline, cutouts just above her hips showing off her tanned skin.

Avery turned to glance at the brunette with a smile as she stepped through the door, looking her up and down with a confident smile. The look on Paige's face had brought her so much more self-confidence. Neither Avery nor Paige thought that she could ever look this good.

Inside the party was raging. Music shook through the house and people stumbled through the halls, pushing and sliding against one another.

As they made their way through the hall, heads began to turn to take in Avery's appearance. Avery ducked her head, focusing her attention on the dark blue carpet in favour of the overwhelming attention upon her newly revealed figure.