Chapter Thirty Eight

After throwing up, her headache and stomach pains had somewhat subsided. Here and there a mild stinging sensation would begin in her forehead and travel throughout her body, but she didn't want that to stop her from doing at least one productive thing before the weekend was over.

Avery had thrown her damp hair into a messy bun and changed into some pyjamas before climbing back into her bed, laptop and book in hand. While she did want to ask Azrael what had happened the previous night, she wasn't sure if she was mentally prepared to hear what he would have to say. That, and she had more pressing things to attend too.

She only had five days left until she had to turn in Miss Edal's religion assignment and she wanted to at least start on it.

Avery made herself comfortable amongst her pillows and opened a word document, typing in bold letters at the top; Contract Demons.

Hitting space twice, Avery gazed at the blank document for a moment. She still remembered what little information Miss Edal's book had about contract demons and in the hopes of finding more information, she opened a google page and typed in 'contact demons'.

Avery clicked on multiple links, each time becoming more and more discouraged by the lack of detailed information about contract demons. After ignoring the multiple sport related 'demon' team mascot links and Wikipedia articles which drew information from movies and television shows, Avery was left with next to nothing.

She knew that the writers of these blogs had no idea what a real contract demon was like. Azrael didn't ask for her soul in exchange for a favour, nor did he have pure-black eyes or stood at a crossroads to make deals with passing strangers.

Avery had spent the better part of an hour before she began to reevaluate her topic choice. She didn't like the idea of writing her assignment with nothing but misinformation and inaccuracies. Especially when she knew better than any of these online writers, what a real contract demon was like.

With a sigh she raised her hands above her head and stretched, glancing across to Miss Edal's book which laid on the blankets beside her. It was as her eyes gazed at the curly silver letters indented into the black cover that she had a thought.

She snatched the book up from its place and after checking the contents page to remember roughly where the 'contract demon' sub-section was, she flicked through the pages until she once again found page 167.

It wasn't information about contract demons which Avery was searching for though, instead she was looking for the books and authors that Miss Edal had sourced in her work. She read;

'... more reliable sources such as Monica, Carnes and Delagore in the 2001 book 'Demon's Diversity' and Demetre, Finely and Edwards in the 2007 book 'Demon Specifics'...'.

It was because of these sources that Miss Edal went on to suggest that contract demons offer their slavery in exchange for the human life-span; not the human soul. That meant that not only did these authors seem to know what real contract demons are like, they also had entire books dedicated to these topics. Books that with any luck, would have more information about contract demons.

With a couple of glances at the text, Avery typed in the first of the two books, 'Demon's Diversity 2001 by Monica, Carnes and Delagore' and hit enter. The image of a plain covered book with a small hand-written title appeared beside a paragraph of text..

'Demon's Diversity, published in 2001 by Monica, Carnes and Delagore explores the many types of demons known in demonology, their purpose, abilities, and position in accordance with the demon hierarchy. This book has been made accessible publicly on 'The Demonology Archive', a website dedicated to discussing and uncovering the truth about demon mythologies'.