Gruff Moods-Chapter 3: EOF

Sandbar starts the long walk back to his room. His last class is Laughter Class, which is in the opposite wing, so the distance is quite lot. But he enjoys it when that's his last class. Usually, after class, his friends will go to the garden to group study, then go to one of their dorm rooms when the sun goes down, until 9 o'clock, then return to their own dorms. But not Sandbar. He will usually walk to his dorm first. He admires the serenity that washes over him after he gets past the garden. Almost as if the entire world is in harmony. Sandbar looks down, guilty, and sighs. If only he was in harmony with his friend, but he pushes these thoughts aside. It is Gallus' fault. He started it. That bitch. Sandbar plans to stay in his dorm, no longer joining his friends in their usual group studies. He can't face seeing Gallus again.

Little does he know that that Griffin is planning to ditch the group study as well. As Sandbar approaches the familiar walls of the dormitories, he sees the Griffin that he's been trying to avoid at the end of the hall, opening the lock to his door but fumbling with his keys. In truth, Sandbar always helped Gallus open the door, even though Griffin have convenient claws. But right now, Sandbar doesn't want to bother, and Gallus is completely fine with that. As Sandbar walks past Gallus, it feels as if time is in slow motion. You can feel the tension rise. You can feel the hatred pouring out of each of them. But as soon as Sandbar places a hoof on his key and opens the door to his own dorm, the tension immediately falls. Sandbar dumps his saddle bag on a table and the corner and sighs, falling down to the floor.

Meanwhile, Gallus still stands outside his door, puzzling out the mechanism of a key. As he does that, a pink Hippogriff just enters the hall. She spies Gallus, wondering what's taking Sandbar so long to come and help him with his door. Silverstream has gone to the garden, in a very slow pace, willing to enjoy and soak in the goodness of everything as always, but then when she realizes Gallus isn't there, who is always early, no doubt about that, she panics. She immediately rushes to the dorms, figuring that her friend is undergoing something terrible. That's where her friend always goes when he has trouble. So seeing Gallus struggle on opening his door, she can't help but curiously fly over. Without thinking, she takes the key from him. Gallus appears surprised that his Hippogriff friend has come to help him.

     "Sorry," she says, "Just... um... thought I'd help you out!"

     Silverstream inserts the key into the keyhole, then turns it, hearing the sharp click, then proceeds to open the door.

    "Thanks," Gallus says, immediately taking back the key. If this is in better circumstances, his heart will be all aflutter, but that fight with Sandbar has placed him in a Gruff mood today. A Gruff mood is very common in Griffinstone, but Gallus thought he will never have to experience it again after moving here. Turns out he was wrong.

    "So why aren't you coming to the group study? Are you in a Gruff mood?" Silverstream asks. Silverstream has been the first and only creature who Gallus shared the Gruff mood of Griffin to, since she's part Griffin, the eagle part, and she uses it in all her essays. Spoiler alert: It also helps make Gallus tell the truth about his feelings.

    "Yeah, I am in a Gruff mood," Gallus says matter-of-factly, "Now go away before you make it worse"

     He shuts the door in her face and turns away.

     "O-kay," Silverstream says. She knows that Gallus means it. He does not want to see her right now. She sighs as her shoulders slump.

     "He could've said it in a less offensive way, though, but of course he had to say it that way. He's Gallus. Or maybe he actually hates me now. Shit. I did something to him. I know I did something to him"

:

Smolder sits down on the grass of the garden. She just returned from her Loyalty Class. Throughout the entire day she's been hyping herself to ask Yona or Silverstream to do their hair, but as she arrives, she sees none of her friends in sight. It's odd. She shifts unconfortably on the grass. The serenity of the garden puts her on edge. She doesn't like it, or she's been telling herself she doesn't like it. Her heart, meanwhile, knows that deep down, she feels like this is a perfect spot for a tea party. She lets the thought travel through her, all the way, until it surfaces in her brain. She lets out an audible groan. Time for another goal that will be really hard to reach. And she's so eager to accomplish it too. She already dreams up the perfect scenario in her mind. The peacefulness of the garden will be an excellent element that comes into play. Just then, she feels a claw fall on her shoulder.