Chapter 5: A Dragon Tamer!

The battle was heated.

Your eyes shot across the battlefield, trying to locate Raihan's Flygon. Flygon had whipped up a powerful sandstorm that damaged Suicune every second. Your pokémon, however, maintained its calm demeanor.

"Ha! This is the pokémon that went toe-to-toe with Charizard?? Honestly, I'm not impressed."

You heard Raihan's voice through the sandstorm. The ground quaked as Suicune was attacked by something you couldn't see. Your pokémon lost its footing and fell to the ground.

"Suicune!" You exclaimed.

Suicune took a few seconds to stand back up, shaking the dust from its body. This time, it gracefully dodged Flygon's Breaking Swipe attack, awaiting your direction.

"Suicune! Ice Beam!"

Suicune shot off its powerful attack, ice forming in a straight line. Flygon took the brute force of Suicune's Ice Beam and slammed into the ground. To your surprise, Flygon tried to get back up.

The sandstorm cleared and Raihan had a large smile on his face.

"...That's one powerful Ice Beam," Raihan explained, returning Flygon to his pokéball. He grabbed another pokéball from his side. "It nearly fainted my Flygon. Let's see if your Suicune can handle Dura-"

"Actually, can we stop the battle for now?" You said, interrupting Raihan. "Suicune doesn't seem to want to fight anymore. Plus, I kinda skipped breakfast, so I'm starving."

Suicune moved over to you and you returned it to its pokéball. Raihan placed both hands behind his head and sighed.

"I was just getting into it," Raihan explained. "But I guess I can't have Leon's girlfriend starving on me..."

"What!?" You exclaimed. "I am not Leon's girlfriend!"

"Oh? Well would you consider being mines?" Raihan said, a grin on his face. "I love a girl who can handle herself in battle..."

"I....don't know what to say-"

"Hey..." Raihan said, wrapping an arm around you. "I was just fooling around. Let's get lunch first, okay?"

"...Fine."

The two of you stopped to get lunch-to-go at a local sandwich place. You insisted that you were fine on your own, but Raihan tagged along anyway.

Bad idea.

You forgot Gym Leaders were like celebrities here, and Raihan was stopped every few minutes by admiring fans.

You awkwardly stood on the sidelines and bit into your sandwich, Raihan posing for yet another picture. He didn't seem to mind, but you felt odd just being here. After the crowds finally dispersed, the two of you were able to find a nice, quiet place to sit and talk.

"So, how did you end up meeting Leon?" Raihan asked. You both sat on a bench together.

"We met at a train station," You explained. "I missed the train and Leon was kind enough to order me a taxi. He invited me to watch the Champion's Cup and after we battled, he endorsed me."

"That's pretty wild."

"It really was. That was probably the most frightening but best day of my life...So, how do you know Leon?" You asked.

Raihan placed both hands behind his head. He leaned back on the bench.

"We're rivals," Raihan explained. "I've never been able to beat Leon though. When he mentioned that you were able to take Charizard head-on, I was interested."