Chapter 5

"He likes you" Rebekah tells Lucifer when the devil carries the child in his arms.

They were taking care of him while Rose, Klaus and Elijah went to go meet with the leader of the Banished coven.

"Well of course he does" Lucifer says as if Rebekah is being obtuse by stating the obvious.

Who wouldn't love him?

"So that's where Maze gets it" she adds with a laugh.

"That's where Maze gets what?" the demon asks Rebekah as she walks back into the room, carrying a large Subway sandwich. "What?" she asks when she sees the look Rebekah was giving her.

"Maze didn't you just eat?" Rebekah asks her.

"Oh I'm sorry. Do stomachs have a certain opening and closing time now, blondie? Because if so then I didn't get the memo" the demon asks sarcastically as Rebekah rolls her eyes at her. "Besides, taking care of Riky is exhausting and I need food so that I can get energy so I can take better care of him" she adds with a bright grin as if to say she's found the solution for World Peace.

"You literally held him for 3 minutes" Rebekah says dryly

"I held him didn't I" Maze retorts in her defense as she takes a bite of her sandwich. "Besides, we can't all drink the amazing and wholesome blood of humans so that we can have superpowers" she adds.

"We don't have superpowers" Rebekah defends her kind, "and need I remind you that your boyfriend also drinks the 'amazing and wholesome blood of humans" she adds with air quotations.

"Your point?" Maze asks dryly.

"You know what? Nevermind" Rebekah says as she throws her hands up in surrender. "Why do I still bother with you?" she asks her teasingly.

"I stopped asking myself that question years ago when it came to Maze" Lucifer quips with playful sassiness from his spot on the floor with Henrik.

"Excuse me, have you forgotten who helped your ass a millions times before in the past?" Maze says to him as Rebekah smirks at the two of them.

"Mazikeen don't sass your father" she says with a laugh.

"Oh bite me, blondie" Maze replies as she bites an 'angry' bite out of her sandwich as Henrik breaks off into peals of laughter as the trio smile at the sound.

It was almost like he could hear his aunties and uncle sassing each other.

"Rebekah do all human children take this long to grow teeth?" he asks as he holds Henrik up as if he's a curious science experiment.

"Careful or he'll–"

Splat!

"–Drool on your face" she finishes off in between giggles as she goes to take her nephew from him as Lucifer wipes the drool away with Riky's wet cloth.

"Human children aren't at all different in all the time I've been on earth" he says in disgust.

"Don't say 'human' children like that, you draw attention to yourself when you say stuff like that" Rebekah says to him as she grabs the wet cloth from him to wipe away the drool on Riky's face as her nephew starts blubbering his usual amount of incoherent nonsense. "Right back at you, little guy" she tells him with a smile as he starts waving his hands around excitedly.

"In all fairness Riky doesn't really fall under the 'human' child category" Maze says, "I mean how can he when his mother is a reaper turned immortal witch, his father is a vampire turned vampire-werewolf hybrid and his grandparents are just another combination of complicated" she adds.