Blood Ties

Chapter Text
Rey pulled in a shaky breath. 'Kylo.' She said her voice breaking.

Kylo didn't take his eyes off Luke. 'Give it up Luke it's over.'

'Ben. What a surprise. I can only assume my brainless brawny friend here gave away my location? Just can't get the help these days.'

'Ben?' Rey asked looking confused.

'Oh that's right, you didn't know Kylo wasn't his real name. Mmmm. Wonder if there are other things he isn't telling you?'

'Drop it Luke.' Kylo said in a low voice.

'Did he tell you that we had met before he came into your father's employ?'

Rey looked at Kylo. He remained silent.

Luke smiled, 'another secret. My, my what a tangled web we weave...'

'Both of you on the ground now.' Kylo boomed.

'You think I'm going to let you take me in? I'm not going to prison.' Luke said lunging at Rey and using her as a shield.

'Get away from her.'

'Make me.'

'I gave you a chance to come peacefully Luke. Remember that.' Kylo launched himself forward just as Luke's thug ran at him. Kylo jumped off the bottom step, raising the gun above his head, he brought it down heavy on the goon's head knocking him to the ground. He stood over the mans unconscious body, his fierce eyes fixed on Luke.

'One more chance to come quietly.'

Luke produced a switch blade, and put it to Rey's neck.

'One more step Ben and I will silence your girl forever. Drop the gun and kick it over here.'

Kyle stilled, then did as instructed. Rey could barely breath, the knife was so close to her throat. She looked at Kylo. They understood each other without words. They needed to buy some time.

'Why... why didn't you tell me your name was Ben?' She said.

Luke's eyes flashed, 'Yes Kylo why didn't you?'

'It wasn't relevant Rey, it's not who I am anymore.' Kylo said stepping forward carefully.

'Stay where you are.' Luke warned, tightening his grip on the knifes handle.

'Everything is relevant to me Kylo, I love you.'

'Should I tell her Ben? Should I tell her why you changed your name?'

Kylo clenched his jaw and balled his hands into fists.

'He had to change it Rey.' Luke whispered into her ear. 'He's a wanted man. Did he tell you about his father? Did he tell you how he died?'

Rey nodded.

'Say it.' Luke ordered.

'He told me his father died in an assassination attempt that went wrong.'

'Correct. But did he tell you what happened next?'

'No.'

'Did he tell you he hunted the shooter down while he was out on bail and killed him in cold blood?'

Rey's eyes shot to Kylo's but he adverted her gaze.

'Not quickly either from what I hear he drained him dry.' Luke said. 'Had it not been for his friend the mayor helping him get a new identity and flee the country, he would have faced the death penalty.'

Kylo glanced at Rey, then squeezed his eyes shut tight and looked away. 'I was filled with anger, he killed my father but I'm not that person anymore.' He said.

'You can't escape your past forever.' Luke taunted. But I can make you a deal, let me kill her and no one has to know about your indiscretions, and when I'm crowned King, I will make you my head of security.'

Kylo swallowed hard. Rey's eyes were fixed on him.

'What do you say? Do we have a deal?' Luke asked.

'I have some demands...'

Rey's mouth fell open, 'Kylo...' she whispered.

'I'm sorry Rey, we had some fun but it's time for me to move on.' He said his face expressionless.

Luke smiled, 'everyone has a price. We can discuss it.'

'Okay.' Kylo moved forward and shook Luke's hand.

'Now!' He shouted as he pulled Luke towards his chest and held him in a choke hold. Hux jumped over the bannister and landed in front of Rey. He picked up Luke's knife and used it to free Rey. Meanwhile Luke struggled to free himself from Kylo's hold.

'I should kill you.' Kylo spat out as Hux helped Rey stand up.

'Go ahead!' Luke shouted back.

Rey stood in front of her Uncle as Kylo held him steady.

'It's over Luke. You will never have the throne.'

'Never say never.' Luke retorted with a smile.

'Hux, hold him.' Kylo ordered as another two men entered the room and began dragging Luke's accomplice up the stairs.

Kylo pulled Rey into his arms. 'Are you hurt? Did he harm you?' He said, his intense eyes scanning her.

Rey took a deep breath. His arms felt so good around her. 'No I'm fine thanks to you.' Kylo kisses her lips gently and placed his forehead against hers, running his thumbs over her cheeks.

'I'm so sorry I had to play along to gain his trust, you know I would never....'

'I know, for a moment I was fooled but deep down, I know you would never betray me.'

'What a lovely reunion. Shame it won't last. I'll tell the police everything I know Kylo. If I go down? You go down too.' Luke said.

Kylo's eyes grew dark. Rey wrapped her fingers around his forearms, 'Whatever comes we will face it together. I will help you.'

Kylo reached for his gun that lay by his foot. Rey's heart drummed in her chest.

'Don't do this Kylo.'

'No one would miss him.' Kylo said.

'He isn't worth it.'

Kylo held the gun in his hand and starred at Luke.

'Ben.' Rey whispered, capturing Kylo's attention instantly. He looked at her for a moment then put the gun down on the chair.

'You're right.' He said taking her hand. 'Let's go.' They started up the stairs.

Suddenly Luke broke free of Hux's hold and grabbed for the gun.

'Should have killed me.' He grinned as he pointed the gun at Rey. Kylo placed himself in front of her, shielding her body and blocking her vision. Rey heard a gun shot and screamed, 'No!' Throwing herself in front of Kylo, but Luke had dropped the gun as his shirt pooled with blood. He fell to his knees revealing Hux standing behind him his arm outstretched, his gun still aimed at Luke.

Luke fell forward, the shot had pierced his heart, his eyes remained fixed on Rey as he fell. Rey crumbled to her knees at the sight of the Uncle she had once loved, lying motionless in a sea of his own blood. Kylo crouched and pulled her head toward his chest. Hux stood motionless in shock. Kylo met his eyes and nodded slightly. Hux's eyes came back into focus and he returned Kylo's nod, finally putting away his weapon. Rey looked at Hux with red rimmed eyes, 'Thank you.' She mouthed.

They heard sirens outside as the police arrived. Rey looked to Kylo, 'we need to talk.' She murmured. He kissed the top of her head. 'Later.'