Help

Chisa's POV

He was back...

Joseph was back...

My hands were numb from his death grip - when Cartaphilus gave him back control. He was staring at me intensely, trying to read my reaction to the whole affair. He loosened his vice-like grip on my hands slightly, but didn't let go.

"Well? Do you understand me better now? Can you see why I hurt people who deserve to feel the pain I feel everyday?"

I blinked at his words. Do I understand him better? He has no right to hurt others just because he's hurting. A sudden thought occurred to me. The words escaped my mouth before I thought about them.

"Did I deserve the agony you inflicted upon me?"

I... am... dead...

Joseph was taken aback by my question. I bit my lip nervously as I read his eyes. He was about to respond when there was a loud knock at the door. I flinched at the sudden noise, and tucked my knees under my chin. Joseph stood up quickly, as though he remembered he would have guests.

"I forgot Renfred was coming... just sit there, puppy. I might ask him to close your wounds... he's better at sealing wounds than me."

I glanced down at my bandaged arms; my eyes widened as I saw that they were almost completely saturated with my blood. Now that I'm not focusing on Joseph, a surge of pain creeps back into my arms. I'm not sure any magic could fix this... and it hurts so much... When I looked up again, Joseph was at the door, unlocking the bolts.

He opened the door, smiling: "Well, well, well! How lovely to see you again, Renfred! And Alice, too! It's good to see your health is improving... please come in." His voice sounds eerily cheerful - he's trying to act like an innocent child... but I know better.

Alice came strolling in, her guard up. This girl must have a sixth sense. Her eyes scan the room and she soon spots me. Her hand flies to her mouth when she sees the state I'm in: bloody bandages and a wounded face, fear evident in my eyes.

Renfred follows closely behind Alice. The left sleeve of his coat flaps from side to side, a constant reminder of what Joseph did to him. He stops dead in his tracks when he sees me. His dark eyes widen and a deep frown develops on his face. He quickly walks over to me, Alice follows him.

Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for this. I scooted to the far end of the couch, pressing my back firmly against it and holding up my arms in a weak defence. The lump in my throat returns as I cry, partly in fear, and partly in pain. Alice kneels down in front of me, anger flashing in her eyes. She takes my hands in hers, stretching my arms out straight, allowing Renfred to clearly see the now scarlet bandages. I hiss slightly, gripping her hands tightly. Renfred turns to face Joseph, who is now closing the door.

"What happened to your Sleigh Beggy?"

His voice sounded demanding, sending chills down my spine. Joseph turned round to face Renfred, the mask of a neutral expression was set on his face.

"That information does not concern you." Joseph snips back.

Renfred scowls at his words, but says nothing. He trails his hand down my arm - I hiss lowly, the stinging sensation making my eyes water. He moves his hand away, and I gape at the blood that coats his hand - I didn't realise it was that bad.