A Gift From A Mage

Chisa's POV

Gazing out of the window, my eyes sparkle with joy. The sky is so blue... Honestly, I had forgotten what it looked like. I haven't seen the sky since the 'errand' I went on with Joseph. It's a beautiful azure colour - and it makes me smile. The sun is shining too. It's dazzling rays are dappling through the trees of the college courtyard. The bright beams are also shining through the window I'm staring out of. The rays warm my skin, adding to my contentment. The light touches my purple hair, making it shimmer - it's pretty.

I can see people - students, I think, milling around. Some walk, some rush. They all wear the same uniform... if I'm honest, I don't like it much... it's very... brown. I'm not in any danger of being spotted. They never look up, but it's probably for the best. Chise explained that when I suddenly appeared out of nowhere, I caused quite a stir. She had to tell her fellow classmates about me, and that's okay. But right now, they don't actually know I'm here. They think I'm in the countryside, in Elias' home. If they knew I was here, Chise said I'd have a lot more visitors... which I'm not ready for right now.

It's interesting to watch people from this height. I counted the windows from the building opposite to the one I'm in. Three windows from the ground - the third floor. These students are sometimes in groups, to twos, to even by themselves, lugging books or tools... sometimes even cages. But Chise assured me no animals or creatures get hurt.

It's been five days since I woke up from my coma. I had been asleep for three weeks. I'm not really surprised about that anymore. It's one of the strange attributes to being a Sleigh Beggy. Chise has taught me so much in these five days: she's taught me about Sleigh Beggies. What we are, why we were always weaker, what we can do. Although, I feel like she's holding back, and hiding something from me, not just about Sleigh Beggies, but about herself. I've felt... a darker presence near her, but I don't understand why. Chise is good, her aura shouldn't be dark... so why is it? Sometimes when she looks at me, a shiver runs down my spine... and I can't understand why...

Wait. What am I thinking? Chise is my twin - I trust her completely... there's no way she's evil. I'm such a bad sister for even considering that.

Chise cares about me, she loves me so much and I love her, too. She really wants me to live a good life - she wants what's best for me. That's why Chise and Elias have a plan to help me learn to control and hold back my magic... magic I didn't even know I had. Sure, Joseph told me I could generate magic... but he never told me I had the potential to be a Mage.

Mages. Joseph had briefly mentioned them. But Chise fully explained everything. Unlike Alchemists, who manipulate the laws of nature; Mages use magical energy that they borrow from nature to change the world around them for the better. Rather than bending the laws of nature, Mages flat out break them to achieve their desired results, it's amazing! Although, casting spells can be draining for them, especially for Chise.

Chise and Elias are both Mages, but I guessed as much. And apparently, I have the ability to be one too. That scares me a little, I don't think I'm strong enough to do anything yet. It was a big enough challenge to make it to this window, for goodness' sake!

I'm not supposed to be out of bed, but I was really bored... and I could see the light from the sun dancing on the floorboards... I wanted to see the sky. When I pulled back the covers and stood up, my legs immediately buckled and I almost collapsed. But I gritted my teeth and persevered. I mean, I'm leaning against the window frame, so I should be fine... for a little while, at least.

My body is taking a long time to heal. It's the emotional and physical trauma I experienced - that's what Alexandria said. But it's also because Joseph used an enchanted blade to cut my stomach. That's what Elias explained to me. An 'experiment' to test my healing abilities, as well as a punishment. It doesn't hurt anymore, but it's still uncomfortable. Most of my scars have faded into pale lines. Some are thick, some are thin... but the one on my face stands out the most, for all the wrong reasons. A permanent reminder of his fury, engraved on my face - it makes me shudder every time I look at it.