Aftermath

Chisa's POV

My breath came out in short pants as I desperately tried to calm my raging heart. I kept my eyes fixed on the white glove, blinking furiously. I fought against the dark images of my nightmare that flashed in my mind. Joseph's face refused to leave me alone. Every time I blinked, I saw his sadistic grin and steely grey eye - it agitated me. I could still feel his aura... black and cold. Goosebumps prickled my skin and I shivered.

I tried to lift my head from the soft pillow, but I only moved a few centimetres before the white-gloved hand covered my eyes, stopping me. I gasped softly as the hand gently pushed my head back onto the pillow.

"Please don't try to move just yet, you're still quite weak, Chisa."

Instantly, I snapped my head to the side, startled by who just spoke. The voice was calming... and I recognised it. I winced when my eyes found the tall man with the face of bone. He was facing me; his beady red eyes swirling with concern. He placed his hand on my cheek and I flinched instinctively. He pulled away a little, his head tilting slightly. Moving more slowly, he touched my cheek again; this time, I remained calm.

"I apologise. I did not mean to scare you." Sincerity rang in his tone.

"You didn't scare me," I said, my voice scratchy. "It's just... Joseph had a habit of doing that... before he hurt me." I shifted my gaze away from him and to the ceiling, trying to distract myself from my dark memories.

"I see," he replied, moving his hand to the top of my head. "You don't have to worry about him anymore, Chisa. We'll protect you from Cartaphilus."

Tears pricked my eyes at his words, and I turned my head to face him. They really do want to keep me safe.

I studied him for a moment. His face of bone was unlike anything I'd ever seen. And his height was unnatural, yet, these abnormalities seemed to fit his personality. I recognise him... I've seen him before. In a Flash. But his appearance was much more frightening. And I heard Chise say his name... what's his name?

"Thankyou... Elias." I say hesitantly. I'm pretty sure that's his name.

Shock appears to shine in his scarlet eyes. "This is the first time we have spoken to each other. How do you know my name?"

I breathed sharply. I should've known he'd ask that... Can I be truthful about the reason? Will they experiment on me if they know the truth? I bite my lip and turn my head away, not wanting to say anything more. Sensing my reluctance, Elias speaks again:

"You can tell me, you won't be in any trouble. I'm simply curious," he says bluntly.

Yet, it's those blunt words that reassure me. There's no hint of deception in his voice. My tense shoulders relax, and I turn my head to face him once again. Although, I still feel slightly uncomfortable, so I don't look him in the eye.

I take a deep breath. "I saw you... in a Flash. You had a... different form and Chise- Wait, where's Chise?!"

I suddenly remembered. Chise was cradling me in her arms when I passed out from exhaustion after I tried to escape from the good Alchemists. I quickly sat bolt upright, my eyes automatically searching for my sister. I wasn't prepared for the huge wave of dizziness that crashed over me. My vision swam and I flopped forwards - but I didn't hit anything.

Large, black-cloaked hands had wrapped around me, steadying me. It was Elias. Tears stung my eyes; his hold felt... safe, secure... like a Father's. Something I had not felt for many years. It warmed my heart.

"Careful now." He lowered my body back down to the bed carefully, as though I were a fragile china doll that might break. "You don't want your wounds to reopen again. Chise just stepped out to get you extra blankets. You were shivering in your sleep and she was worried."