Chapter 9~ What's Your Problem?

Picture to the side is of Lyra's dress for Tanner's party.

Video to the side is the lyrics to "Nicotine" by Panic! At The Disco.

----------•----------

Chapter 9~ What's Your Problem?

The drive home was no different than any rides all of us took together. We just sang obnoxiously loud with the windows down, since it was actually a warmer day out. 'Thinking out Loud' came on again, so I was even happier when Lyra pulled into my driveway. I grabbed my Forever 21 and Victoria's Secret bags, hugged my friends, and got out of the car and began walking up the driveway.

But, before I could even reach the door handle, Sissy appeared at the front of the door, with a guilty expression on her face.

Wait, Sissy! Shit- I knew I forgot something. But I told her to take the bus.

"Sissy, what the hell? I told you to take the bus! If mom's home, she's most likely gonna try and slap the shit out of me."

"I told you yesterday that I was bringing in cookies for school, and I had to bring 2 art projects, and my cello home! You never listen to me anymore" she spoke, tears beginning to form in the corners of her eyes.

"Damn, I'm so sorry Sis." I said, starting to feel guilty about arguing with her. "You're totally right, I should've listened. I love you, okay?" I said to her, holding my arms out for a hug.

As I was crouched down, she returned the gesture, squeezing her small arms around my waist, hugging me tightly.

"I love you too Reese" she answered, pulling away with a smile on her face.

"Listen, how about tomorrow, after school, we-"

"Reese, get your fucking ass in her right this instant!" I heard my mother shout from the kitchen. Shocker.

Great, just great. This will just be swell.

As I put my bags down, along with my backpack to block the shopping bags from my mother's view, I turned my head to see her drowning her emotions into some whiskey.

"You'll never listen to us, will you?" I asked her, softly. "Sissy and I have been asking you to stop drinking for a good 5 years now. It doesn't just affect us, you know, it affects you and your drunken state of mind as well" I exclaimed, my emotions all beginning to fly out of me.

"Get over it, Reese. You know I won't stop. It helps ease my pain from being with you two brats when I'm not at my job." She says, her voice hoarse. She puts her now empty bottle on the counter beside the sink, continuing her stupid lecture. "Why didn't you pick up your sister today? I had to make the whole 10 minute drive there and back, just so you could continue your damn mall trip with your pals."

My god, could she be anymore fucking dramatic?

"Do you know how much gas that wastes for me? Like, $5!"

And I stand corrected.

"And it's not like you don't have 5 dollars growing out your ass" I mumbled.

"Shut the hell up, and go help your sister with her homework." She says, opening the cabinets to find some more beer or whiskey.

"You're lucky I didn't have any homework" I told my sister, sighing as we walked up the stairs and into her bedroom.

❁❁❁

By the time I got home from the mall, it was already 6:00pm. And by the time we finished up Sissy's homework, it was already 9:30. We ended up skipping dinner since we both didn't want to be near our mom when she was on her fourth bottle.