X

LEIA'S EYES WIDENED "SABÉ -!"

Ezra tried to lunge forward but Luke clawed at his hand, terrified. Vader had turned to face Leia's handmaid at the other end of the hallway.

Leia looked ready to run forward too but Luke grabbed her wrist too as if he was planning on running if this all went downhill which to be frank, Ezra could completely see this going completely awry.

The air was still and Ezra could feel the tension in the hallway and the conflict around Vader. Nobody moved or did anything for a few moments before Sabé at the other end of the tunnel stepped forward.

She looked distraught but in a regal way. She still looked composed; in her posture and her movements but her eyes and quivering mouth spelled out a different story.

Ezra saw her swallow and then open her mouth. "Ani?"

Vader didn't move. He stood there, still as a ghost.

Sabé's lips tightened and she looked more sure of herself as she took another step forward, only a few feet away from Vader. "Ani." She paused, mouth open as she looked over Vader, confused and shocked. "Ani, is that...is that really you?"

More silence.

And then Vader's breathing stuttered and he uttered a hushed word, "Padmé?"

Sabé started crying now, tears slipping out of her eyes and she held a hand to her mouth. "Oh, Ani," she took three more strides and to Ezra and the twins' amazement, she threw her arms around Vader's neck to hug him.

Vader stilled completely and Ezra was more shocked than terrified. He could tell though that Leia was the most terrified. In fact, he could feel the nervousness and the worry coming off of her.

Ezra blinked, wondering if that was another part of the force bond when he felt another feeling through the bond but this time it was a wave of calm. Mostly.

"How...?" Vader was the first to speak and his voice was low and hushed. Ezra stepped in front of the twins, debating whether or not he should try to grab his lightsaber.

"Obi-Wan and Yoda they - they hid me," Sabé looked close to tears, her eyes watering. "Put me under and then - when I woke up - I- I was healed and I - they let me - to watch over Leia -"

"What?" Leia spoke up and Ezra just barely winced, closing his eyes in frustration. He was going to try and grab the lightsaber but now that definitely wasn't going to happen.

Vader turned and Sabé was revealed again, her eyes widening a fraction.

Leia looked concerned and worried still but now a little curious. "Sabé...? What about me? What's happening?"

Vader turned back to Sabé. "Are they...are they right?"

"What do you -" Sabé stopped. "I - yes. They're - well Luke and Leia are. Not Ezra."