XIX

KANAN STOPPED AND STARED, AT FIRST UNSURE WHAT THE NOISE MEANT

Master Skywalker frowned beside him and looked over at Ahsoka and Rex. "What's that about?"

Ahsoka looked grim. "The Empire is here." and started jogging down towards the Command Center, presumably to get a read on what is happening. Kanan shot a glance at the others before running after her.

They skidded around the corner before Ahsoka yanked Kanan back as rebellion fighters were scrambling around to get to their stations. The alarm was whirling and Kanan could feel the panic in the Force.

The same repeated message began repeating over the intercom, "All fighters to your station. All fighters to your station." Kanan's face twitched as he started to break away from Ahsoka to find Hera and the others.

He had to tell Hera something if they were all about to die. He'd tried to push it down but quite frankly that was useless at this point. Kanan dashed along the hallways before running out to the main staircase. Other fighter pilots dashed past him and Kanan instinctively ducked as X-Wings and Y-Wings began to fly off towards the looming space station. Kanan felt sick at the sight of it. A dark force - a Sith force - radiated from it and he staggered a bit. The amount of death this station caused...

"Kanan!"

Kanan turned and let out a relieved sigh as Hera, Sabine, Zeb, Chopper, Ezra, and four others - Leia, Luke, Han, and Chewie - dashed towards him. "Hera -"

"Are you alright?" Hera demanded, throwing herself forward to hug him.

"Yeah I - Hera I have to tell you -" Kanan started.

"No time!" Hera shook her head to pull away. "Save it for later, love -"

"There might not be a later -" Kanan tried but Hera shushed him.

"Ezra has a plan," she said loudly. "It involves you. The rebellion is going to need me, Zeb, Sabine, and Chopper in the skies." She explained quickly and then started to turn but Kanan grabbed her wrist.

"Hera -" he tried again and she looked over at him, bright eyes looking at him for a moment. There was a pause; a fleeting second of nothing and quiet before Hera took a breath and stepped forward to lightly kiss him.

"I know," she whispered. "Now go,"

Kanan, startled, let go and nodded numbly back to Hera as she nodded and then turned. She called to Zeb, Sabine, and Chopper to hurry up. Chop wasted no time while Sabine and Zeb sent each other a look and then ran off after them. Kanan's vision tunneled as he waited impatiently until the Ghost finally appeared, lifting off to go and battle in the stars.

"Okay." Kanan breathed out and then looked at Ezra who was smirking. "What's that about?"

"Ah nothing," Ezra shook his head, still grinning.