XIV

EZRA CURLED IN FURTHER ON HIMSELF, STILL SHAKING FROM FEAR. 

He was so sure...so sure that Maul was there. That he was really there, threatening him and his friends. With death and pain...

Ezra turned away from the setting sun. He was crouched low on a balcony from top half of the Temple. The sun was nice on his face but he just felt so cold inside that he couldn't...

A tear slipped out of his eye and he blinked it away, trying to control himself even when everything felt like it was spinning out of control. 

It started normally. As everything did, all he was doing was testing out the ability the purrgil showed him - travelling through 'hyperspace' through the Force (more so just teleporting) - with Luke watching him. Eventually, Luke went off to spar and so Ezra kept on focusing when jarring pain settled into his head.

And that's when Maul showed up. 

He started taunting Ezra, calling the younger his apprentice and saying that he would find Ezra no matter what it takes. Ezra's breath had caught and he felt Luke feel his anger and run off - probably to tell Anakin. 

In the back of his mind - the rational part - Ezra knew this was a trick. He knew Maul couldn't really be there. But the closer Maul got towards him, the more real it felt. And when Ezra finally broke and tried to attack Maul, their lightsabers connected and it seemed as though they were actually fighting. 

And Maul just kept taunting him, toying with his fears and anxieties and insecurities. And Ezra knew - oh he knew - that this was all a lie. He was powerful. He knew he could take on Maul. He knew he could protect his friends, his family. 

But he was just so scared. 

And Maul riling him up didn't help. Ezra tried shouting to drown him out and could only vaguely realize that Anakin was trying to talk to him. 

He couldn't focus. He couldn't understand what was real and what was fake. He couldn't let go of the fear. 

And then Maul finished him off. 

"Your friends - your family - will die. And after them, so will the universe. I have seen it, my apprentice." Maul had sneered, smiling smugly. "And it was you, Ezra who joined me and finished them all off." 

And for a flash of a second, Ezra saw it. He saw what Maul saw and it was horrifying. Red and yellow dark and sullen eyes. Gray crack lines surrounding his chin. A heavy glare and smirk. Two double bladed crimson red lightsabers. A dark black outfit and cape. 

Ezra balked at the image and his thoughts ran rampant at the sight. Loosing his friends and family was one thing. Killing them himself was another. 

And Ezra lost it. 

He felt a surge of power and grasping it tightly, he screamed and the building shook. It fell apart at his fingertips and he lost himself in the anger and the hate and the fear.